Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Advanced FoW with ONE player seeing the “past”...

Not sure this is possible, but I’m running a 5e game where one player has the Outlander background giving her perfect recall of preexplored areas. Is there a way to make the AFoW feature showing prerevealed areas work just for her token?...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You could drag her token around the previously explored areas of a map before bringing her to the page?
I did that but they are only halfway though the current map, so during next session the others will be able to see where they were during the session. Maybe after each session I’ll reset the fog and drag her around again...
I would suggest creating a second map page for that player.
And run the characters on two separate maps? That seems high maintenance (unless I’m misunderstanding...)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ah, I understand a bit more. As I interpret it, you want: A. The other characters not to have revealed areas from the previous session B. Her to have revealed areas from the previous session, and C. ALL players to keep revealed areas from the current session. In that case, in between sessions, reset the Advanced Fog of War on the maps in question. Retrace her token through the areas already explored before putting the players on that map. As I understand AFoW (caveat—I don't use it), that should accomplish those goals. Though it would require a bit more time in setup, it's less work than maintaining separate maps. There is an API that can run tokens on separate maps at the same time, I think it would ultimately be more work and more confusing for a feature you are likely to use a lot.
I’d really like if no players but her would update during the game, but I realize that’s likely impossible (plus I’m a Plus subscriber so don’t think I can do API stuff...)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Here's another option then. Create a light crumb character that only she has control of. Give it light and sight only for her. Drop these along where she has been. So long as you trust her not to drag them around the dungeon, they should provide vision back along her path.
What is a “light crumb” character? (Although I think I get the gist...)

Edited 1560824289
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
A light crumb is what people used to use before AFoW. Many still use them because they are less processor intensive and more closely resemble what is shown by Dynamic Lighting. I prefer them. The classic light crumb is a dummy character shared by All Players, though in your case, it should be just the Outlander. Give it 60 feet of light with the dim starting at -5. That should be enough to make it obvious that it is "remembered" territory and not currently seen. However, adjust to your own taste. Don't click "light is seen by everybody". Give it "has sight". Wherever you place a light crumb, the player will be able to see what it sees. Drop one whenever the player leaves an area. My light crumb has a tiny eyeball as the token art. You may decide you don't want others to see where it is. In that case, give it an invisible token and an aura not visible or editable by players. Oddly enough, the light crumb does not appear to be in the Stupid Tricks thread. I should fix that. EDIT: Fixed . Go to the link for a more detailed example.
Thanks. I’ll check it out!