Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Let Players Raise Their Hands

Score + 101
Just a direct transcription of a series of tweets at the @Roll20 Twitter, which suggested I pass the idea on! Love your platform @ roll20app - but there's one thing I'm dying to see. Lots of people who play don't use facecams, and it can be hard to have a conversation where people aren't talking over someone, because they don't have visible cues in body language. Here's my thought: You add a button. Any sort of button. Or a keybind. Really anything. All it needs to do is make someone's name/icon on the bottom of the screen light up. A "raised hand" if you will. An indicator that someone wants to say something. This one simple thing could effectively create low-risk inroads to organic social interaction in role-play, but it could also help to effectively keep order in large groups. Best of all, you'll be providing genuine support to a vulnerability in your customer base. That's just plain creating value, right there. Think about it. :) I could see this idea expanding into so many features that create organic, accessible ways to collaborate on the platform. I hope you'll consider it! There are a whole lot of us who would be very appreciative. <3

Edited 1562074304
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This would be a great feature, especially for shyer or soft-spoken players who have difficulty talking over the rest of the group!
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I can see a way to implement this via an API script in the mean time. You could toggle the character's selected color to alert the party that someone wants to talk.
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Scott C. said: I can see a way to implement this via an API script in the mean time. You could toggle the character's selected color to alert the party that someone wants to talk. Great idea!
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
...and I made a script for it:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7580899/script-hands-up" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7580899/script-hands-up</a>
It would also help for those who play text-based game. With experience we get used to let everyone have a chance to talk, but new players will all respond to a NPC's question at the same time for example. This could possibly help in this regard&nbsp; I would make use of it for sure.
I fully support this idea. It would be useful in any type of game.
I agree with the above! It'd be very useful for every game.&nbsp;
Voted. Would also like to tack on that when said button is pressed the browser window containing Roll20 gives an alert. I use Discord for voice and having something to redirect my attention to Roll20 helps.
I can definitely see this being useful!
This would be perfect. I GM a few children's groups and we're learning not to talk over each other.&nbsp;
There are a few other ways to do this without a pro account. Making macros that have a raised hand image that pops up in chat.&nbsp; Or a deck of cards where the back is an image of a hand raised that players can draw from when they want to raise their hand.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Adding my vote. My group comes up on issues that this feature would be wonderfully useful for while we balance accessibility. A built-in function would be highly preferred over scripting or card deck tricks. We will be looking at those options though, while we wait and hope.
Voting, my players want this, and so do I.
Just adding +1 to vote
Adding my vote. Two of my players are deaf or partially deaf, and even without that it would be very useful.
This has been sitting around for so long, I'm guessing it isn't a priority for the devs -- but I really hope people keep replying. It would be a stand-out- accessibility feature for so many people! Dice Imitate Life is all about mental health, so it's an area about which we are truly passionate. :)
I use a macro for this
!splay Chime &amp;{template:default}{{name=**Raises Hand**}}{{[x](<a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/304167440/P-48WhRMzA6bZtRDcdAwnw/original.png" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/304167440/P-48WhRMzA6bZtRDcdAwnw/original.png</a>) }}