Advertisement Create a free account

Rollable Table Question: Are you able to have public and whisper info in the same table?

Is it possible to include a whisper and a general info section in the same item within a rollable table?  I want to do something where there is a descriptor but then additional info for the GM when the table lands on that item. Any help of suggestions would be much appreciated. 
1562776417
The Aaron
Forum Champion
API Scripter
Not out of the box.  With the API (Pro subscriber perk), you could do something like that. The closest you could get without the API would be to have done lookup code the GM would use to get more info, such as the name of a macro, or possibly a link to a handout (though that might not work)
1562791193

Edited 1562791210
The Aaron said: Not out of the box.  With the API (Pro subscriber perk), you could do something like that. The closest you could get without the API would be to have done lookup code the GM would use to get more info, such as the name of a macro, or possibly a link to a handout (though that might not work) Thanks for the reply. This is sad to hear but not unexpected for Roll20. Right now I've just set the table into a macro whisper to the GM and I'm reading off the information and just holding back on the GM info but this isn't idealas I would like the players to be able to see test and images. 
1562796382

Edited 1562796659
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I guess it depends on how many entries you have and how easy/hard it would be to weight it, but what about doing 2 different rollable tables, with a different macro to call each one.  If you make the main one the whispered table, you could give it an entry equal to the combined weight of all the public results that simply says "Roll public table".  Then, when that result comes up, you hit the other macro to display a result from the table your players are allowed to see.  You could even use the chat menu trick to have a button to click that rolls the public table. That trick an many others can be found in this thread.
Is it also possible to get a result from a rollable table and send a whisper of that info to a player?
1562800255
The Aaron
Forum Champion
API Scripter
Probably the best you can do is to have a macro to Roll that outputs the text for the players as well as a code for the GM and a link to the handout, something like: &amp;{template:default}{{name=What you found...}}{{Result=[[1t[TableForGM]]]}} /w gm [Handout For GM](<a href="http://journal.roll20.net/handout/-LjT6b95b2AQB9zPLTBO" rel="nofollow">http://journal.roll20.net/handout/-LjT6b95b2AQB9zPLTBO</a>)
Kraynic said: I guess it depends on how many entries you have and how easy/hard it would be to weight it, but what about doing 2 different rollable tables, with a different macro to call each one.&nbsp; If you make the main one the whispered table, you could give it an entry equal to the combined weight of all the public results that simply says "Roll public table".&nbsp; Then, when that result comes up, you hit the other macro to display a result from the table your players are allowed to see.&nbsp; You could even use the chat menu trick to have a button to click that rolls the public table. That trick an many others can be found in this thread. Thanks for the link I shall investigate it.&nbsp; Brian A. said: Is it also possible to get a result from a rollable table and send a whisper of that info to a player? This is basically what I'm doing by reading it out loud to the group. If the result were player specific I would, of course, whisper it to the player. Good to see someone suggesting what I'm already doing as it affirms my actions thus far and tells me I'm not missing something obvious.&nbsp; The Aaron said: Probably the best you can do is to have a macro to Roll that outputs the text for the players as well as a code for the GM and a link to the handout, something like: &amp;{template:default}{{name=What you found...}}{{Result=[[1t[TableForGM]]]}} /w gm [Handout For GM](<a href="http://journal.roll20.net/handout/-LjT6b95b2AQB9zPLTBO" rel="nofollow">http://journal.roll20.net/handout/-LjT6b95b2AQB9zPLTBO</a>) Running a handout link for every event in a random event table that spans 100-1000 events is a daunting task and doesn't really seem worth the payoff&nbsp; vs the option of just reading the information and holding back on the stuff requiring action on the part of the players. This however does raise a second question looking at your code causing me to wonder if a table can be seated in a wrapper macro. Such as follows.&nbsp; &nbsp; Everything in this works but the last one I just added which is a rollable table. This is what the code looks like.&nbsp; &nbsp;
1562861888
The Aaron
Forum Champion
API Scripter
That's not a macro, so you'd need to make it an inline roll: [[ 1t[Criticsl-Hit] ]] sldo, make sure you have a carriage return after the ! or the HTML equivalent &amp;#13; (which gets subsequently replaced for Macros but not for Abilities).&nbsp; Theres a whole bunch of info about that in the Stupid Tricks thread.&nbsp;
The Aaron said: That's not a macro, so you'd need to make it an inline roll: [[ 1t[Criticsl-Hit] ]] sldo, make sure you have a carriage return after the ! or the HTML equivalent &amp;#13; (which gets subsequently replaced for Macros but not for Abilities).&nbsp; Theres a whole bunch of info about that in the Stupid Tricks thread.&nbsp; Working my way through the Stupid Tricks thread.&nbsp; So basically in the macro wrapper it would look like what is in the quotation marks? "!' [[ 1t[Criticsl-Hit] ]]"
1562863773

Edited 1562864287
Ok realized I had actually already found a workaround for this and there is probably a way to do this directly but for life of me I can't figure it out. As seen in the screen shot above the text for Plains references another macro that reads&nbsp;/w gm [[1t[Traveling-the-Plains]]]. Linking the wrapper macro to a regular macro that references a rollable table seems to work. If you can suggest how to link the wraper directly to the rollable table it would be much appreciated. The above solution you recommended that I tried to implement only returns a number and not the text from the table.&nbsp; UPDATE: Ok hmm the numbers returning seem to have been just a problem with the table itself. I set up the table to return the roll with the listing of the numbers beside it. So each entry started out with 1-5, 6-10 and so on and so forth up to 100. Apparently, that prevents the text from being returned with the numbers as well. You can set the numbers at the end of the text without issue but not before it.&nbsp;
1562888164
The Aaron
Forum Champion
API Scripter
You're completely right.&nbsp; If the text begins with a number, then it will convert to a number in inline rolls (and for mathematical equations). In the above, It would be something like: [Critical-Hit](!&amp;#13;[[1t[Critical-Hit]]]) or [Critical-Hit](! [[1t[Critical-Hit]]]) This is a complete hack on API Command buttons, which were originally designed to call API commands.&nbsp; Background: What you're essentially doing is calling the API command: ! And then executing the very normal chat text: [[1t[Critical-Hit]]] &amp;#13; just becomes a carriage return when sent to the chat.&nbsp; If you push up in your chat history after running that command, you'd see something like: ! [[1t[Critical-Hit]]]
1562896628

Edited 1562896726
I haven't tried the above code but don't you need a # after your !. At least when working within ()?
1562896885
The Aaron
Forum Champion
API Scripter
No, # is for activating Macros.&nbsp; You're just evaluating the expression [[[ something ]].
1562959093

Edited 1562959467
Arkangel said: Is it possible to include a whisper and a general info section in the same item within a rollable table?&nbsp; I want to do something where there is a descriptor but then additional info for the GM when the table lands on that item. Any help of suggestions would be much appreciated.&nbsp; Confusing thread, but to answer your original question, yes a rollable table will hold chat information and GM whispers. You can even write a macro and put it on a rollable table. You just have to copy and paste the resulting table roll FROM chat INTO chat again... unless you use API. For example write a macro that whispers the result of a rollable table to the GM. Now, make one table result as follows: /desc A troll appears! /w gm Trolls regenerate. -end example Roll your macro, then when the above example appears, copy and paste it into chat again and press enter. The players will see the description but not the GM whisper. Problem solved.