Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Compendium Update?

If I buy books from the Marketplace, should it automatically add them into my compendium? I see additional options in Charactermancer but don't seem to see them in my out of game compendium. I own pretty much all the 5e stuff (including the Midgard HH I bought today) but I still only see the following races when I click Compendium / DnD 5e for example: That can't be right, can it?

Edited 1562868852
There should be the books above what you are looking at, you have to click on each book to get its supplemental material. Not the best but it is all there.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Above that section should be a large grouping of images (might be different on a phone where they show up) of all your purchased compendium books. Click on those, and it takes you to the Compendium info for your desired purchase.
Thanks guys. I knew about the book links but thought that somehow the links at the bottom would be a combo of everything because that would be a logical, helpful way to do it. If I click races, I get to see all the races from my books. Oh well. So basically browsing the compendium is a bit of a slog. It's not even really a compendium is it? Compendium implies everything together. This is just a load of books with pretty terrible usability. Sigh.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Well, it is created primarily for in-game use and charactermancer integration.  I suppose anything beyond that is a bonus, like it or not.
Kraynic said: Well, it is created primarily for in-game use and charactermancer integration.  I suppose anything beyond that is a bonus, like it or not. Possibly, but that's pretty disappointing. They have that functionality for spells and monsters, why not races, classes, feats, magic items etc? I am sure DnD Beyond has this sort of set up. Maybe I could browse spells on Roll20 and classes on DnD Beyond, but then I'd have to shell out for a hardcopy, a Roll20 copy, and a DnD Beyond copy. I'd rather Roll20 invested some time instead though, which would hopefully encourage more people to buy marketplace items. I don't really want to have to log into a game and deal with the crappy in-game search function when this is exactly the kind of thing all this computermarized gubbins should make super easy. Most companies I know want to encourage you to log into their website, and only their website, when involved in activities in their sphere.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The focus of Roll20 is to facilitate online play. The web interface for compendium data would likely be a secondary concern over providing it in game. The reverse would be undesirable to say the least. Using Roll20 doesn't need you to visit their website at all, other than login and entering a game. I know my players have never set foot in the forums, for instance. Although I agree that a "collapsed" compendium would be useful, there may be other reasons that make this difficult. I'm not a programmer. As for comparisons to D&D Beyond, that's really apples and oranges. D&DB does one thing: D&D. Specifically D&D data manipulation. D&DB might be better at referencing data, but it sucks at moving tokens around on a map. It's also a terrible source for Pathfinder, Dungeon World, Starfinder, etc. I would not expect Roll20 to have comparable functionality to D&DB in what is D&DB's mandate. Again, I'd like better filtering, amalgamation and flexibility in the Compendium too. I just don't think D&DB is a fair comparison.
keithcurtis said: The focus of Roll20 is to facilitate online play. The web interface for compendium data would likely be a secondary concern over providing it in game. The reverse would be undesirable to say the least. Using Roll20 doesn't need you to visit their website at all, other than login and entering a game. I know my players have never set foot in the forums, for instance. Although I agree that a "collapsed" compendium would be useful, there may be other reasons that make this difficult. I'm not a programmer. As for comparisons to D&D Beyond, that's really apples and oranges. D&DB does one thing: D&D. Specifically D&D data manipulation. D&DB might be better at referencing data, but it sucks at moving tokens around on a map. It's also a terrible source for Pathfinder, Dungeon World, Starfinder, etc. I would not expect Roll20 to have comparable functionality to D&DB in what is D&DB's mandate. Again, I'd like better filtering, amalgamation and flexibility in the Compendium too. I just don't think D&DB is a fair comparison. I definitely agree that the compendium is secondary to the VTT aspect, but my point really was why not do both well?  Make Roll20 the one-stop shop for DnD (and other games) by making some changes in the functionality of the compendium out of game. Anyway, cheers for your feedback, peoples, it's much appreciated. I guess we all have different priorities when it comes to this kind of thing. If not many people are interested in it then we won't see it any time soon I should imagine.
So I'm slightly bemused. This is what I mean... At the bottom of the wizard class sheet, links to the PHB standard stuff... Then something from XGA... But the nothing from the other books... Looks like Roll20 thought about having the subclasses from other books linked in, but then changed their minds. Frustratingly close, but no bananas or subclasses.