Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

5e Adventure Modules without other compendium purchases

I was wondering if It’s fine to purchase an adventure module such as Curse of Strahd without owning the Players Handbook and Monster Manual on the Compendium (I just have the physical books). Will all the monsters and NPCs still be set up and have everything except for the stat blocks? Will certain things not work properly? Thanks in advanced for the replies if I get any, I’m new to roll20 DMing and wanted to run an adventure without buying the core books again.

Edited 1563121682
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You will get everything you need to run the adventure. If a monster is in the module, it will be available. You will also have statblocks for things in the module. You won't have non-essential things, like PHB-only classes and spells, but you will still have access to everything in the SRD (the freely-released rules that WotC provides) in case you want to customize.

Edited 1563121740
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Everything you need to run the adventure is included. Monsters are fully built with the complete stat block. It is literally all the content from the adventure book, ready to run. You don’t need to own any other products on Roll20 to run the adventure. And everything is fully editable, so you can build new monsters by hand from your physical books if you wish.  (Edit to say sniped by Keith :) )
Ok i have a follow up question for this. I have a friend that has the Plus subscription,, i myself am only a free user. What we would like to do is that She as a plus subcriber Run the official module, Dungeon of the mad mage. now my question, If i buy the module as a free user, can i share the module to her account so she can use all the plus features? Or do i need to create the game, invite her, and make her a GM. If the second option applies, Does she as a plus user get all the benifits of the plus user like dynamic lighting  even though i as a free user created the game?

Edited 1563231736
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
The Creator of a game is the one who sets all the benefits for the game.  She would need to buy the module and set up the game.
hmmmm thnx to bad its like this, is there a way that i can share the module with her, so she can use it in a game she created without actually gifting the module to her?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Not really. Modules are tied to the buyer's account. The best you could do is invite her to a game you set up using the module, and then promote her to GM. In this case, however, she would not be able to use most of her subscription features (most of those are ties to the account which created the game).
I have a related question. Was just about to start the Curse campaign, and use roll20 for the first time. Own the physical books for theplayer, DM and monster manual books only with noroll20 purchases. i was about to buy the physical CoS book, then thought about doing it through roll20 instead.is the roll20 purchase enough or do people recommend buying the physical CoS book as well. thanks
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The Roll20 module has all of the text from the physical print edition. The only reason I can think of that you might want the latter is if you read and retain better that way, need a reference copy you can read where there is no internet or computer available, or just want to leave the book open during the game to a section you need to glance at without changing screens or juggling too many handouts, journals and character sheets.