Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Thinking of buying first quest and using Roll 20. Help

Edited 1563758428
All, I have the free subscription.  I've never used Roll20 in Dming but have used Gametable for years.  I've been interested in an upgrade.  I'm thinking of buying the Mad Mage dungeon quest so i don't have to draw a thousand maps.  My question is if it is worth it with my free subscription.  It seems like the dynamic lighting and fog of war would be the most amazing part of the system, but that's not included on the free subscription.  If I don't have this, can I reveal the map as they go?  Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Matt

Edited 1563767697
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Absolutely you can reveal the map as you go. The feature is called Fog of War (not "advanced). It's like laying a black sheet of paper over the map, and cutting away bits as you reveal areas to the players. Totally manual, virtually no impact on performance, and available to free users.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You could also create a game based on the free ' The Masters Vault ' module and play around with it to see how easily you feel you could run a module with a free account. It's effectively a 1 shot... maybe a 2 shot... so running a group through that will not only teach you some useful parts of the Roll20 learning curve but it will give a great idea of whether or not to purchase something more substantial.
Thanks guys.  I think I'm going to make the buy.  I think the rest will be learning curve.