Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Help Please: Maps and Uploading

So I got a question. I got some Battletech Maps as PDFs that I'm trying to use for my campaign but they refuse to upload. Something bout being over 10MB and though I set the scale to 300 pixels in export in Abobe. Is there anyway to upload them? Like as a free item in the market place perhaps or someway to get around this.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You need to save them as Jpegs. PDFs will not load to theTabletop. Also, 300dpi is probably overkill; it's hard to tell without seeing the maps. 140 pixels per square is probably good enough for most purposes. That will let you zoom in to 200% with no loss, and a bit more with no observable loss. Also "dpi" is a misnomer, since a computer screen has no way of knowing what an inch is. DPI is for print. The resolution for Roll20 is 70px per grid unit. (~88 pixels for a vertical hex height.) Count the number of hexes down use that as a guide. In other words, if your map is 20 hexes down (Battletech uses hexes, right?), save at (20X196) = 3920px tall, and don't worry about the "dpi". If you would like to read more about graphics handling on Roll20, there is an excellent page on the wiki .

Edited 1563845659
keithcurtis said: You need to save them as Jpegs. PDFs will not load to theTabletop. Also, 300dpi is probably overkill; it's hard to tell without seeing the maps. 140 pixels per square is probably good enough for most purposes. That will let you zoom in to 200% with no loss, and a bit more with no observable loss. Also "dpi" is a misnomer, since a computer screen has no way of knowing what an inch is. DPI is for print. The resolution for Roll20 is 70px per grid unit. (~88 pixels for a vertical hex height.) Count the number of hexes down use that as a guide. In other words, if your map is 20 hexes down (Battletech uses hexes, right?), save at (20X196) = 3920px tall, and don't worry about the "dpi". If you would like to read more about graphics handling on Roll20, there is an excellent page on the wiki . It does use Hexes but it doesn't have too. One problem I've having though is trying too align it to the Hex grid which it just doesn't seem to want to do. It's almost like its still somehow trying to lock on a square based grid. I've solved the problem by enlargening the map I dropped in so the roll20 hexes are smaller then the uploaded map hexes to make it clear which Hex the unit is in. Which isn't ideal as it takes some finegeling but it work. But the reason I want to use the Hex based grid is because for the Battletech RPG, we're having Mech combat and it's easier to just plop down one of the existing map sheets, put them togethere and use use those. If theres anything additiona like turrets or walls, I just plop those down ontop too.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
My tip on aligning maps is different from most of the ones I've read on the forums. I've never used the map alignment tool, for instance. I align the top left, then hold down the alt key and size vertically until it fits. Then I do the same horizontally. It may take a touch of tweaking, but it's fast. Hold down the alt key to avoid snapping. Also, if you feel you are close but not exact, just turn the opacity of the grid down to zero. The pre-printed grid on the map will be close enough, and most people won't care if it's a few pixels off. Hex maps are nearly impossible to perfectly align anyway, due to the way they are calculated (They will not come out to exact pixel measurements in bot directions).
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I refuse to hold alt.  I right click on the image and set it as "Is Drawing".
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
But, but what if a player declares they want to attack the dungeon with their dagger? Actually, that's a good practice.