Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Rolling On A Wild Magic Surge Table With Increasing Difficulty

I'm starting a 5e game and one of my players is a wild magic sorcerer. We're using the homebrew rule where instead of rolling on the wild magic surge table on a roll of 1 on a d20, the "difficulty" increase by 1 every time they roll. So, the first time they roll a d20 for a wild magic surge check, they only roll on the table on a 1. The next time they roll on the table if they roll a 1 or 2 and so on.  I found in another post where I can roll [[[[1d20=1]]t[Wild-Magic-Surge] ]] which works fine. What I want to know is if there's a way to implement an increasing difficulty with this roll and track it somehow (possibly using the initiative tracker?)  I'd prefer to do this with a macro instead of an API script if possible, but if there's a good API script that does this exact thing I might be willing to upgrade to use it. Thanks in advance.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
It could certainly be done with the API, but I don't know of a script explicitly for that, though it seems pretty simple to write a one-off for. You can reference values in the tracker by name using @{tracker|NAME}.  So, you can add a custom turn (click the gear at the bottom of the Turn Order) and add something named WMS and set it's value to 1 (initially).  Then you can use a formula like: [[ [[1d20<@{tracker|WMS}]]t[Wild-Magic-Surge] ]] to do a 1d20 roll.  It will result in a 1 if the result is less than or equal to the current value of WMS in the Turn Order, which will result in a roll on the table, otherwise it will be zero and the result of the expression will be a 0.
Hey, that's awesome! Thanks. Is there way to make the tracker increment by 1 every time this roll happens?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Only if it's WMS's turn.  This will add 1 to the current turn: [[ 1 &{tracker:+} ]] wish you could do something with a named turn, but that's not the case. You could definitely do that with the API. You could create a token that represents WMS and add a token action that does this (I think it will work...): [[ @{tracker|WMS}+1 &{tracker} ]]
cool thanks a lot
Just wanted to follow up that increasing the initiative number on a token representing the wild magic surge does seem to work. It's a with turn tracking but it seems like I can roll a wild magic surge and increase the difficulty (initiative number) AND it doesn't have to be the token's turn for it to work. Thanks!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Awesome!  Glad it's working for you!
I'm doing exactly the same thing in a 5e campaign by keeping the increasingly more likely chance to roll wild magic on Bar 3 of the character's token.  If They roll for wild magic and it doesn't happen, I add one to bar 3.  &{template:atkdmg}  {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{rname=Sorcerous Wild Magic}} {{dmg1=(1=Yes, 0=No)``[[1d20cs>21cf>20<@{selected|bar3}]]`` Effect [[1d100]]}} Which looks like: If the wild magic actually happens (You'll see a '1' instead of a '0'), the specific effect is already rolled and then I can use a second macro to display the result from a large drop-down of choices. @{wtype}&{template:atkdmg} {{desc=**Sorcerer MetaMagic Result** ?{MetaMagic Type |01–02, Roll on this table at the start of each of your turns for the next minute, ignoring this result on subsequent rolls. |03–04, For the next minute, you can see any invisible creature if you have line of sight to it. |05–06, A modron chosen and controlled by the DM appears in an unoccupied space within 5 feet of you, then disappears 1 minute later. |07–08, You cast fireball as a 3rd-level spell centered on yourself. |09–10, You cast magic missile as a 5th-level spell. |11–12, Roll a d10. Your height changes by a number of inches equal to the roll. If the roll is odd, you shrink. If the roll is even, you grow. |13–14, You cast confusion centered on yourself. |15–16, For the next minute, you regain 5 hit points at the start of each of your turns. |17–18, You grow a long beard made of feathers that remains until you sneeze, at which point the feathers explode out from your face. |19–20, You cast grease centered on yourself. |21–22, Creatures have disadvantage on saving throws against the next spell you cast in the next minute that involves a saving throw. |23–24, Your skin turns a vibrant shade of blue. A remove curse spell can end this effect. |25–26, An eye appears on your forehead for the next minute. During that time, you have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight. |27–28, For the next minute, all your spells with a casting time of 1 action have a casting time of 1 bonus action. |29–30, You teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see. |31–32, You are transported to the Astral Plane until the end of your next turn, after which time you return to the space you previously occupied or the nearest unoccupied space if that space is occupied. |33–34, Maximize the damage of the next damaging spell you cast within the next minute. |35–36, Roll a d10. Your age changes by a number of years equal to the roll. If the roll is odd, you get younger (minimum 1 year old). If the roll is even, you get older. |37–38, 1d6 flumphs controlled by the DM appear in unoccupied spaces within 60 feet of you and are frightened of you. They vanish after 1 minute. |39–40, You regain 2d10 hit points. |41–42, You turn into a potted plant until the start of your next turn. While a plant, you are incapacitated and have vulnerability to all damage. If you drop to 0 hit points, your pot breaks, and your form reverts. |43–44, For the next minute, you can teleport up to 20 feet as a bonus action on each of your turns. |45–46, You cast levitate on yourself. |47–48, A unicorn controlled by the DM appears in a space within 5 feet of you, then disappears 1 minute later. |49–50, You can’t speak for the next minute. Whenever you try, pink bubbles float out of your mouth. |51–52, A spectral shield hovers near you for the next minute, granting you a +2 bonus to AC and immunity to magic missile. |53–54, You are immune to being intoxicated by alcohol for the next 5d6 days. |55–56, Your hair falls out but grows back within 24 hours. |57–58, For the next minute, any flammable object you touch that isn’t being worn or carried by another creature bursts into flame. |59–60, You regain your lowest-level expended spell slot. |61–62, For the next minute, you must shout when you speak. |63–64, You cast fog cloud centered on yourself. |65–66, Up to three creatures you choose within 30 feet of you take 4d10 lightning damage. |67–68, You are frightened by the nearest creature until the end of your next turn. |69–70, Each creature within 30 feet of you becomes invisible for the next minute. The invisibility ends on a creature when it attacks or casts a spell. |71–72, You gain resistance to all damage for the next minute. |73–74, A random creature within 60 feet of you becomes poisoned for 1d4 hours. |75–76, You glow with bright light in a 30-foot radius for the next minute. Any creature that ends its turn within 5 feet of you is blinded until the end of its next turn. |77–78, You cast polymorph on yourself. If you fail the saving throw, you turn into a sheep for the spell’s duration. |79–80, Illusory butterflies and flower petals flutter in the air within 10 feet of you for the next minute. |81–82, You can take one additional action immediately. |83–84, Each creature within 30 feet of you takes 1d10 necrotic damage. You regain hit points equal to the sum of the necrotic damage dealt. |85–86, You cast mirror image. |87–88, You cast fly on a random creature within 60 feet of you. |89–90, You become invisible for the next minute. During that time, other creatures can’t hear you. The invisibility ends if you attack or cast a spell. |91–92, If you die within the next minute, you immediately come back to life as if by the reincarnate spell. |93–94, Your size increases by one size category for the next minute. |95–96, You and all creatures within 30 feet of you gain vulnerability to piercing damage for the next minute. |97–98, You are surrounded by faint, ethereal music for the next minute. |99–00, You regain all expended sorcery points. } }} Which looks like this:
Don't know if anyone is still following this post, but is there a way to make the output of the table whisper to the GM only?
Chris B. said: Don't know if anyone is still following this post, but is there a way to make the output of the table whisper to the GM only? Just put a "/w gm " in front of the first line Eg:  /w gm &{template:atkdmg}  {{damage=1}} {{dmg.....
That worked, but since I'm having the player click the macro to roll, they also see the output if it rolls on the table, correct?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
That's correct. You'd need an API script to get around that.