Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Stupid question of the Day] Survey How many API do you use in your campaign

Michael I.
Pro
Sheet Author
I am asking this question so the community in whole can see how much or little others are using the API and the 2nd part of the question is is there a number at which we see a slowdown to roll20. I will start it off in my current campaigns I am using 14 API and I do not currently detect any slowdown.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
51 active scripts. As I understand it, there are only two times you should experience any kind of slowdown from the API. 1) At load time, as the scripts load into memory. They are text, and probably load quite quickly. 2) When they actually run. The API is event based, so unless the trigger event has just happened (usually a token move or a text command), they don't do anything. Hopefully a script has been written efficiently so it terminates its action as soon as it can and only runs the routines it absolutely needs to. So unless they are inefficiently written, you shouldn't see a big slowdown from them. I'm sure an actual coder will come along and correct any mistakes in my understanding.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Completely right.  I will add the clarification that many scripts have tasks they do on load (pre-cache player characters, find all trap tokens, etc). If they are written efficiently (deferred queue parsing, findObjs() with indexed filters, etc), they won't cause issues, but many scripts take a simple approach. If you see missed heartbeat or possible infinite loop at start up, this is likely the cause. If you see those in the middle of a game, it's a poorly written event handler.  Really, efficiency going to have more to do with the selection of scripts than the number. As Keith said, the API is event driven. The vast majority of scripts should basically be doing nothing most of the time. 
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Because I am paranoid about scripts sometimes conflicting (or the API sandbox having trouble in general), I only run 2.  There have been others that I have thought about using, so someday I might get brave and run 4 or 5!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Due to my play style, I only need or use 1 and that is the welcome package.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
17 scripts enabled (blue text instead of grey text), list below: I run without character sheets (just character journals).  I do not use Advanced Fog of War.  I do use dynamic lighting.  I do not see any slowdown due to API activity, and rarely see gameday lag.
Davemania
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm running with 24 scripts in my game. As others have already said, they're not all doing things all the time, and more than a few of mine are only executed during prep and not for use while running the game. They save me so much time! Here are some of my favs: TokenMod GroupInitiative TableExport & RecursiveTable MonsterHitDice
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I’m using just 4 in my new 13th Age Glorantha campaign. The 13th Age character sheet helper script, PowerCards, TokenMod, TokenNameNumber. 
Depending on the game I play ranging from 0 to 11. No slowdown noticed that I could link to a script.
I'm clocking in at 17 in use with another dozen or so being looked at when time permits; to see how useful they are, or how I would use them.  Some scripts I must admit I forget about and have to "rediscover."
47, (it's an addiction). But so far I've noticed no API - related slowdowns in game.
Michael I.
Pro
Sheet Author
Thank you guys, keep them coming, I hope this encourages more to not fear using the api or fear the number being used. 
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
35-ish, although certain games may have specific needs so that number could fluctuate by +/- 3 for each game. I also am always constantly trying new scripts out, so that number is in flux as I continue to find what works for me.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I dont have a fixed number, it changes as i experiment with stuff, and also from campaign to campaign, but definitely above 10, and can be in the 30s plus the longer i run a campaign and figure out what i need for it.
I have a simple amount of standard one like welcome package and script or menu handlers which I run on all games around 5 in total.  D&D 5e - 38 (Granted I have taken some macros and created simple API scripts to make them slightly less combersome in the list and the addition of google crhome addons has lowered by total substantially from its over dramatic 60ish) Shadowrun - 5 Pathfinder - 16 Open Legend - 4 GURPS - 5 AFMBE - 4 Star Wars - 5
My count is about 40 active scripts. As most have said, there is no noticeable effect on speed. My lags are usually due to Internet and/or computer issues...
currently 27