Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How to link tokens with different art to the same journal entry?

I'm setting up some local toughs as "mooks", so I created a token, made the journal entry, linked the journal entry to the token. That setup went fine, but I'd rather not use just one piece of token art to represent all these opponents. Duplicating the journal entry, then linking that 2nd entry to a new token seems to work, but now I have my stat block for these mooks duplicated across two different journal entries. If I ever needed to update it, I'd rather not have to do it in two places. Is there an easy way to use different token visuals for the same entry in the journal?

Edited 1566010509
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Easiest is to make a Rollable Table Token:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Collections#Creating_a_Rollable_Table_Token" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Collections#Creating_a_Rollable_Table_Token</a> You can then assign it to the character and change them as you like for each different mook.&nbsp; Be sure you set it so it's not "Is Drawing" so it snaps and has token bars and such.&nbsp;
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You can also set up multiple dummy characters with default tokens that point to the main character but use a different image.&nbsp; Then dragging out one of the dummies will give you a different looking token easily, but you still just have the stats in one place.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The Aaron said: You can also set up multiple dummy characters with default tokens that point to the main character but use a different image.&nbsp; Then dragging out one of the dummies will give you a different looking token easily, but you still just have the stats in one place. That would confuse me so much, like, two weeks after I set it up...
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You'd just have to organize them well... =D
The Rollable Table Token approach worked well. Out of curiosity, how does one create a dummy character that points to another character? I didn't see anything in the character edit window.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The token points to the main character. The dummy character has that token as its default token, even though that token points to the main character.
Mike deBoston
Compendium Curator
The blank character sheets with tokens that link to a master character sheet idea is flat-out new to me. I don't think it's in the tips and tricks but it absolutely belongs there. But... Is there a problem with having too many character sheets? Don't they all load into memory at once?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yes. But none of them will have any attributes to worry about. They are just placeholder to carry a default token. You won't be adding a ton of data. As long as you don't go nuts, you should be fine. I prefer the rollable token approach, but I'm not going to argue with the Scriptomancer! :)
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Ha! &nbsp;I just provide options! &nbsp;=D. The dummy characters is a nice workflow for some people. =D