Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Adding 5E Players Handbook

Hey everyone. If I am in the middle of a campaign (Cure of Strahd) and I purchase the Players Handbook, could I add that to a game in progress? Would it screw up the character sheets? Would the players be able to access the new content and update their sheets? A specific circumstance I have is my Rogue has reached level 3 and wants to pick her archetype and the only one available on the SRD is thief. If I bought the Players Handbook would she be able to pick the other archetypes or would we need to start over. Thank you! 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Gamer Dad 79 said: Hey everyone. If I am in the middle of a campaign (Cure of Strahd) and I purchase the Players Handbook, could I add that to a game in progress? Would it screw up the character sheets? Would the players be able to access the new content and update their sheets? A specific circumstance I have is my Rogue has reached level 3 and wants to pick her archetype and the only one available on the SRD is thief. If I bought the Players Handbook would she be able to pick the other archetypes or would we need to start over. Thank you!  If I am in the middle of a campaign (Cure of Strahd) and I purchase the Players Handbook, could I add that to a game in progress? yes Would it screw up the character sheets? no Would the players be able to access the new content and update their sheets? yes, if you allow compendium sharing for that game. A specific circumstance I have is my Rogue has reached level 3 and wants to pick her archetype and the only one available on the SRD is thief. If I bought the Players Handbook would she be able to pick the other archetypes or would we need to start over. If she has not yet chosen her subclass, she should be able to using the material in the PHB, provided the character was created using charactermancer. If she created it manually, the material is still available for use, but I do not know if Charactermancer can level up properly.

Edited 1566269048
Just to be overly thorough, I think Keith's answers presume you are using the D&D 5e by Roll20 character sheet. I think that will give you the best results.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ah, I thought I had seen a reference to the charactermancer in there, but probably read that in a different question.
No worries, Keith. I am 99% sure they are using the Roll20 5E sheet, but just wanted to be sure. :-)