Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Brand new : please help

Hello everyone. Was an avid D&D player back in the 1980’s.Sold all my stuff and restarting as we speak.  This is an odd question . But can I play with random people in other areas over face chat or other online means ? No one plays this great game in my area. And I’m sure my only ‘shot in the dark ‘ would be over an online stream connection. I have an iPhone / and Xbox one for streaming needs . Is this possible ? And if so , where can I go to pursue this ? I’m 47 years young and will be starting as a level 1 noob. So bare with me please 
And want to add. I’m very non computer or tablet savvy. So any help ( in simple computer terms ) would be appreciated. And I’m open to play as much as I can. Even if I only have 1 hit point :) 
Ok . Been reading the best I can here and enjoying the friendly banter. Do I first download the app of roll21 to my google tablet? or do I do something else? all help much appreciated . Chris 
Chris, welcome to Roll20. &nbsp;Yes, Roll20 is for connecting with other players around the world. <a href="https://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+I+use+roll20+to+run+a+game&amp;gs_ivs=1" rel="nofollow">https://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+I+use+roll20+to+run+a+game&amp;gs_ivs=1</a> &nbsp;Key is to establish what time zone you are in and what days and times you are available. &nbsp;And then you match up so that for example East Coast at 9 PM USA will be 7 PM mountain time and you know that the game will run for three hours so that team will and at midnight EST and 10 o'clock MST p.m.  So in that way, I run games in Thailand at 9 o'clock in the morning for people at 7 o'clock at night&nbsp;in the United States on the Pacific coast. &nbsp; You're connecting with a server that shares the video, and &nbsp;there are settings within the game server that you join. Once inside the game server,&nbsp; you can select to share video or audio. &nbsp;Some players and groups like to use a separate chat protocol, such as the most popular right now called discord, but people&nbsp;have also used Skype or Google hangouts or other VoIP programs. I think if you are a pro subscriber you can access the roll  20 app that is used for phones I'm not sure what the avail  ability is for tablets, etc. So I suggest looking at the other looking for game posts to see the posts that people write, you will be probably looking at playing the fifth edition, or perhaps&nbsp;one of the older versions, like the second edition or even original D&amp;D. Those are available here, but they are much rarer than the fifth edition or Pathfinder Considering that you are returning and you want something simple. Pathfinder is probably gonna be too complex, at this point.   I'm a pro subscriber and have been a community member since the beginning of roll20. I'm not a moderator but I'd be more than willing to interact with you in private messages to help you get set up or whatever you need. Please define for the community. What hours you are available and what time zone you're in and perhaps look at some tutorials I linked. those will show you pretty much&nbsp;what you need to get started tes one of the older additions that you are familiar with. If you still have or can access those books are by them or get the PDF. The older versions of D&amp;D are much rarer here, but they are available if you do some diligent searching ting 12  I tried to use the rule 20 app on my phone and it was just too small of a screen  . I tried to use the rule 20 app on my phone and it was just too small     I tried to use the rule 20 app on my phone and it was just too small    , my phone is too small. It's a Samsung J6 and it's just impossible to play with a screen that small so I use a desktop PC or laptop     
Look for games here also. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/search/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/search/</a>
So many thanks Shroud 🙏🏻&nbsp;
Happy to assist. Let me know if you have questions, I will point you in the right direction if I do not have the direct answer.
Hello Chris T., I have moved your thread to the Specific Use Questions &amp; Macros forum. Additionally, let me w elcome you to Roll20! To get kicked off right, I'd suggest watching our introductory video series,&nbsp; Introduction to Tabletop RPGs , which covers the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers. Secondly, for the Virtual TableTop itself we have a&nbsp; Tutorial &nbsp;that shows you how to use the various parts of the software. Please note, there are a few known issues with the tutorial&nbsp;that are being worked on. We also recommend starting your own test game to play with the controls as an excellent way of getting used to the software. You really can't break anything, I promise. Thirdly, check out the &nbsp;Looking For Group Tool &nbsp;and&nbsp; Looking for Group Forum &nbsp;daily for games that may be of interest to you. Fourth, be sure to completely fill out your&nbsp; User Profile .&nbsp; Your Bio &nbsp;is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself Enjoys Playing &nbsp;is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for&nbsp; The Orr Group Industry Report &nbsp;of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you Actively Seeks Group For &nbsp;is where you can add yourself to the&nbsp; Player Directory &nbsp;for systems you want to play We have a&nbsp; wiki &nbsp;that grows regularly and is very much worth exploring. Feel free to ask any questions you have about Roll20 by&nbsp; posting in the various sub-forums &nbsp;on their particular topics (Don't stress about putting topics in the right sub-forums, we mods really don't mind moving topics when needed!) In response to your few questions, please note that Roll20 is designed for Chrome and Firefox (Web browsers). It will not work on the Xbox. Roll20 is also not supported on smartphones. However, it is&nbsp; supported on mobile tablets , which is based on subscription level and creator of the game status.&nbsp; If you have any specific question about using Roll20, feel free to post the question on the forums.&nbsp; Happy rolling!
Thanks Dragon Dreamer. This sounds like an excellent group for me&nbsp;
I’m all ready&nbsp;
That is 1st Edition AD&amp;D.&nbsp; The Version I started with, in 1979. maybe put up a post with your time zone, and times, seeking 1st Edition AD&amp;D.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
There is a 1e community on Roll20. You will have to go use the game search to find it. I'm on my phone otherwise I would find it for you.

Edited 1566459596
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Pat S. said: There is a 1e community on Roll20. You will have to go use the game search to find it. I'm on my phone otherwise I would find it for you. I believe that a long-time Roll20 community member (and super helpful person),&nbsp; Gold &nbsp;is in charge of one such group/game ROLL2E Tavern AD&amp;D2E open table &amp; 2nd Edition Player Meetup or here's a general search in LFG for 1e/2e that specifically "Welcomes new players". Cheers