Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Encumbrance default settings bug + game fixes

Good evening Forum, I've been meaning to write this for a while but never got to it - today, I finally write In the game I DM, my Players and I use Variant encumberance - super fun, but Roll 20's own 5e sheet preset seems to be off - here are my issues. - When setting sheet presets, selecting the "Variant encumbrance" preset for new sheets fails to switch the setting, you have to go in manually for each sheet (annoying) - There is a very neat feature where you can hover each item in one's inventory, doing so allows you to go to the items settings where you can allow the item to be equipped, have a resource value, or even give it an attack (as well as check out the "coding" behind variables). My issue here is un-equipping an item from your inventory only grey's out the option, but does not remove the weight associated to that item from that of the total weight carried. I'm sure this isn't a huge issue for most, but for us who use these features, they seem incomplete at best. Surely these weren't the intended purposes, and it has simply gone unnoticed because of how unpopular the features are in most games.  Thanks for reading, would love to hear back from a dev!
Hello dudeofpeace, Thank you for your questions. In regards to weight and items being equipped or not, this is as intended. If the items is in a player's inventory, it still counts it's weight regardless of if it is equipped or not.   I have poked the devs on the other issue you present here. I too am seeing this behaviour. As soon as I have more information for you, we will let you know. In the meantime, you can select to use Variant Rule for encumbrance for all sheets by having that selected in the Campaign's Settings, then at the bottom of the in-game settings, you can select the "Apply Setting Default". You will then have a dialogue box pop up for you to select which settings you wish to change. Please note, this will change ALL characters, pages, and t okens you have in your game. Related attributes of these items will be overwritten with the settings you have checked off in this applier. This process  can't  be undone! Thanks!

Edited 1566572266
Dragon Dreamer said: In the meantime, you can select to use Variant Rule for encumbrance for all sheets by having that selected in the Campaign's Settings , then at the bottom of the in-game settings, you can select the " Apply Setting Default ". You will then have a dialogue box pop up for you to select which settings you wish to change. I apologies if I wasn't clear, or maybe I'm missing something - but my original described issue notes that the campaign settings defaults does not actually change the default setting for all character sheets. If it did, I'd be quite happy I understand the benefit of the greyed out "Unequipped" feature, and I won't say I don't like it: Being able to go from my 10 + 2 (dex) natural AC to chainmail 16 is super convenient, however, there are multiple ways to set AC in one's sheet settings. Currently, the only way to have an item not on person is to delete the item from one's sheet (which makes keeping track of it and re-adding it later tedious) or adding a "Not on person" item to the sheet with a negative value of the items the user is not currently carrying on them. Surely there is something the Dev team can implement here? I know I speak on behave of a minority of users, but that minority does exist and would be ever grateful - I swear it!
Hello again dudeofpeace, In regards to setting the Variant Rule for Encumbrance for all sheets, after changing the default in the Campaign's Settings, did you then select " Apply Setting Default "? If not, that is the step that is missing if you want to ensure that all of your current sheets, and future sheets, use the Variant Encumbrance rule.  In regards to your suggestion to have the D&D 5E by Roll20 Character Sheet have a place for items not being carried, thus not counted in encumbrance weight,  we offer the   Suggestions & Ideas   forum, which is based on voting from the whole community. This will be the area that you need to post this suggestion. We hope this information helps. Again, I have poked the dev on the specific issue of changing the Encumbrance default in the Campaign's Settings not affecting new Character Sheets. Once we have more information for you, we will let you know.   Thanks!
Thank you Dragon Dreamer for your quick response.  In response to the "Apply Setting Default" option you mention, I cannot say if I see that properly. Of course, I select the "save changes" at the end of the settings, but I've searched for this "Apply Setting Default" option and fail to see it
Forgive me, I found the option in the launched game - thank you for making me aware of this!
... Unfortunately, I do not see that option present :(
Hello dudeofpeace,  I apologize for any frustration this issue has caused.  You can force it show up by going into the Campaign's Default Settings to change the Encumbrance setting to something other than using the Variant Rule and saving it as the default setting. Then you will need to go back into the Campaign's Default Settings and change it back to using the Variant Rule option and save it again. The original Default is supposed to use the Variant Rule. As such, the option to "Apply Default Settings will not have that option since it is already set to default; however, since you are having this issue, this is a workaround to force it to show up in the "Apply Default Settings" option within the game.  Let us know if you are still having issues. As a reminder, this will update all Characters, Pages, and Tokens within your game. So be sure to only select the options you wish to change this way.

Edited 1566780964
Thank you, bug resolved. I shall consider posting about my other point in the suggestion thread