Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Recommendations for 5E campaign for experienced GM but newbie players?

Hi, my kinds and their friends in India are asking me to run a 5E online campaign (we played a bit F2F during the holidays). I've got >25 years of GM experience but am completely new to Roll20. Two things that concern me: A) Learning curve How steep is the learning curve for Roll20 - especially in a "group of teens"-context that never read the DND-rules to begin with. So double problem of not knowing the game rules and potentially struggling with the tool... It was no problem F2F but online I´m really worried it will be difficult esp. if I don´t know Roll20 myself... Some handholding on the game rules from the tool would probably be good but I still want it to be a gaming and not a mechanical experience. Also I need some freedom for "fudging" on the GM side since they are newbies and I want to avoid party kills, does everything have to be linked directly or can I have a mix of "rules-support" by Roll20 but manual application of saving throw results, damage etc.? B) Suitable campaign Don´t have the time to homebrew but would like some flexibility to add side trecks and other adventures from old Dungeons etc. (Challenge of Champions anyone? :)  ). Group has 2 rangers and a druid so it should not be a pure dungeon slog. I´ve looked at the official material and so far Storm Kings Thunder seems best suited to what I have in mind (overall long term campaign with enough sandbox freedom to basically include whatever else I want to). Any other recommendations from the market place content?  Thanks for any help, Drew
Spren
Sheet Author
Definitely do the tutorial and watch some youtube videos to get the gist of things, but roll20 is very easy to learn for basic play. I can't imagine you or your players having much trouble learning the basics. SKT is probably my choice for you too. It's kinda railroads you at first and the leveling is very fast until level 5, but once it gets to chapter 3 it's basically open world so you can and in fact will need to improvise and homebrew some stuff. I imagine by then you'll be used to everything so it should be fine. As for fudging things, make sure to set your rolls to gm only rolls and you can fudge all you like.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Lost in the Mines of Phandelver is also a good starting module for new players.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Master's Vault is short and free adventure available on the market place, it provides a good introduction to Roll20 for a GM and the 5e rules for players. Otherwise I agree with Spren, I'm running a group of complete newbies through Storm Kings Thunder and they are approaching the end now with a solid grasp of the rules... well one person still has to ask 'which dice to use' but that's just them! Like Spren says, the module is prescriptive at first and requires some GM cleverness towards the end depending on what your players did (or did not do) to get to where they need to be but with your experience you'll have a lot of fun with the module. The best thing about using a module as a new starter on Roll20 is that all of the work is done for you, you'll only need to learn the basics to actually run the game and can progress along the learning curve should you wish to make any changes. Good luck and have fun!
Thanks for the advice. I took the plunge and bought SKT and the PHB yesterday and started playing around (of course I also did the tutorial :)  ). I even managed to create my first character after some hassle and trial and error (I thought the Charactermancer would start automatically, took a while till I stumbled upon the option to launch it after creating the character).  Master's Vault looks like a good way to get started, I have to admit that I feel a bit overwhelmed with SKT as a start. MV looks like a good way to cut my teeth first, will take a closer look now and maybe try to find a game to join as a player as well.  Now what´s really giving me headache is that one of the players is playing a druid keen on shapeshifting (last adventure we played F2F she spent 80% of the session shapeshifted). From what I googled so far that seems to be one of the more difficult things to handle properly in Roll20, will have to look closer at that as well. Probably I´ll just give her control of some animal tokens and not worry about stat adjustments for now and just manually intervene if a roll looks close... 5E is crazy in giving out shapeshifting to second level druids, horror for GMs, especially newcomers will be hard pressed to handle this, most adventures can go completely off the rails if the player is smart :)  

Edited 1566643997
Spren
Sheet Author
Yeah shapeshifting is awkward. Quick tip is that if the beast your druid wants to shift in to is in the compendium, then all you need to do is drag it to your tabletop and a character sheet will get generated for it. Give them control, then they have all the stats and thigs and can roll the attacks. It won't have a token unless you own the monster manual, but it's still a pretty fast way to do shapeshifting. Aaron mentioned LMOP which is also a good way to start, and it takes place where SKT does and SKT has a section on how to integrate the two.
1 more vote for Lost Mines. On a related note, when it comes to Shapeshifting, talk with your player beforehand and describe the inflexibility of Roll20 so that you can agree on what shapes should be available during the session. You can always add more later.
My order of recommendation would be either of the Starter of Essentials kits, followed by Tyranny of Dragons. Yes, it railroads, but basic players might need a bit of that. After that, SKT can be good. I would shy away from Curse of Strahd for newer players and Tomb of Annihilation could be omitted as well. I think tales of the yawning portal and Saltmarsh'es first adventures  would be good for newer players, being built for level one players.