Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP][D&D5e][MST/MDT][HomeBrew][18+] Seeking 4-5 Adventures for Low Fantasy Game

Edited 1566652466
From the Urban sprawl teeming with life, to the quiet wilderness, down to the most decrepit and forgotten parts of the Underdark. you'll venture far and in between battling factions, heartbroken minstrels, and powerful lords and ladies. *"I've heard rumblings from the villagers on the edge of Darkchester wood. They say wild 'owling been keeping the folk up at night an scarin the youngins. Most of em think there to be some beast prowlin but I dare not venture into the woods meself for fear of what I might find... You lot seem to be of hardy construction, would you go check it out? Slay whatever'is out there and the Eldorman is sure to reward ye."* Hail all ye would-be adventurer. If the small hook got your bones itching for a good quest then strap on your boots and ready your kit. I'm currently running a grounded, gritty medieval low fantasy campaign comprised of political intrigue, danger, betrayal, black magics, deception, Lords and Ladies, debauchery, riding through gentle countryside, Vicious beasts, hardworking folk and their problems, where life is cheap and freaks are freaks. Spanning 7-9 arcs, 2 location specific quests per continent, a plethora of dungeons, individual character adventures, and 2 world quests. You would be a group a group starting at level 6. The world is often described as a blend between the Witcher and Game of Thrones book series with inspiration from The Kingkiller Chronicle. We are additionally playing with the Honor and Sanity scores, and added bonuses for your place of origin in the world to compliment your race and background. I am searching specifically for some older school TTRPG veterans for this endeavour but would love to chat about anyone joining.  If your are interested please contact me here on Roll20 with a bit about yourself, a character {concept} you had in mind and your favourite medieval fantasy trope. EDIT: For those asking about the times, that's a discussion with the group itself. I present all the dates I am available and the party can book those dates for play, a character workshop, a lore brief Q&A, or whatever someone might need. Thus the scheduling really comes down to when you want to play! Though generally I prefer to play in the early evening.
You had me at “Where Freaks are Freaks”  My name is Corey, and I’m 28 years of age. I have played AD&D for over a decade, but only recently made the switch to 5e a year ago (and haven’t looked back). I am currently in a weekly Midgard campaign that runs on roll20 as well.  I have had an itch for a low fantasy game for awhile. Where a man lives by his wits and the edge of his blade. A more realistic game that is a throwback to the 80’s sword and sorcery vibe.  As for character concept, there are a couple I would enjoy playing in a low fantasy setting. A Outland Barbarian Mercenary selling his sword to the highest bidder, a Halfling traveling Merchant trading his wears village to village, or a heavy drinking hospitaller that is still haunted by his time at war.  I love the evil wizard troupe. I know it sounds simple, but in a low fantasy setting it really makes it feel more authentic. Just one evil wielder of magic can wreck havoc on an entire county side.
This sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this ahead of time! What will you do with all those adventures you have laid out when the players inevitably decide on some unexpected course of action? :P More seriously, a bit about myself: I've played D&D since I could read (aka 2E), and like that 5E streamlined some stuff to get back to its roots! I'm one of those over-players, where some weeks I think I've actually put more effort into a character's downtime than I think my DM put into the next week's adventure entirely, but I'm hoping for a break from DM-ing myself (see above regard to players' choices). I make characters I love, then play them to their fullest, even occasionally when I would rather roll a new guy. As a last tidbit, I actually work a rotating schedule, so if you are hoping for 100% participation at a specific, set time I think you'd sadly have to pass me by. If you're okay scheduling with a shifting game time, or with a Gandalf-esque sometimes-party-member, then I'm your guy and I'll work with you as much as I can to make the game fun for everyone! As for character concepts, I've got two that I like right now, but I'm super flexible. 1) A straight-up bard, since my love of roleplay usually leaves me the party face even when my character sucks at it (low CHA doesn't mean "quiet!"). If the other players are okay with it, playing a slightly cowardly Bard that only really supports in battle and tries to avoid conflict whenever possible sounds like a real blast to play. 2) A monk who is as close to possible as a character from The Matrix.  I mean, using your mental convictions to dodge bullets, doing high-speed kung-fu, not necessarily following a deity... it's all there! Favorite fantasy trope? The wise old mentor! Magic is a nice touch, but any old dude that leads you towards your destiny or whatever... Man, that sounds nice!
Before I can I commit to my character and the group (DM included) I would have to know the time and day of play as I have a strenuous workweek schedule. However as the rest of the people here I started my adventures in 2e, dabbled in 3 and 3.5, dipped my toes in before I ran from 4e and now settled comfortably in 5e, I run 2 groups a week and play in 1 (mostly Sunday mornings.)  As a character concept since I've never played a melee character, I would stick to my roots as a rage sorcerer, hard to please easy to anger for sale for the most powerful spells. However, don't let his demeanor fool you his gorgeous skin and blonde locks can end a fight as fast as his fireballs. If he is too much then maybe a Blood Cleric, sacrifices and blood is the only thing to appease her God, everyone needs to be purified.  As for my favorite trope, its either The Chosen One or The Reluctant Hero both suit my playstyle and views in life what more is there to say.
I would love to join! Just need to know the times!
It sounds like a very interesting plot. Two quick questions I have are what would the days and times be and what content for character creation is allowed i.e UA, Blood Hunter, ETC. The Witcher is always a go to for when medieval and fantasy come together. I'd be interested in doing Blood Hunter if that's allowed but if not then probably a Monk or Warlock. Been playing 5e for about 2 and a half years and dnd/PF for about 7 years in total. I am 24 and atm unemployed to all the free time in the world.
Greetings. The plot and world you've described sound quite interesting indeed. Unfortunately I can't really say I'm a veteran, I've played D&D for 3 years but only 5e so I might need help with any older mechanics you implement. For me schedule wise, Fridays and Saturdays would be ideal. University is starting soon and I live in GMT+8 time, so Fri-Sat your time would be weekends for me. About myself, you can call me Toasted or ManPowder, whichever suits your fancy. I'm 21 y/o and currently doing my bachelors in Design. I do tend to like darker toned stories where protagonists don't have the all mighty plot armor protecting them. My favorite trope... honestly I can't really think of a medieval fantasy trope, more along the lines of character type. I like characters that aren't black and white evil or good. Yes a demon or vampire may be considered evil in the eyes of society, but perhaps there's more to them then first meets the eye. As for character, well... Fenrir the Tabaxi rogue(Swashbuckler) "What do you mean the Archduke has ordered the massacre of an innocent village?! Yes of course that's terrible, but the bastard's taking MY spotlight!" Fenrir is a Tabaxi rogue. Born a street rat he picked pockets to survive. However as he aged and became more proficient, he quickly gained a taste for theatrics. For him every job was a performance, a show in which the sole star was himself.  Over time however, this too became too dull for him. Simple street thievery didn't match his talents. So he fled his home town to the capital. There he tried his antics only to be met with indifference. No matter the act, no matter the show, the townsfolk wouldn't give him so much as a glance. After all, what is the capital but a haven for thieves to master their art?  Outraged Fenrir began searching. Searching for what these peasants, uncultured in the ways of theater, considered entertainment. Quickly he discovered the respect many of these people had for adventurers, knights, warriors. He was appalled at the barbarism which was being glorified.  It was then and there that he decided.  "If these swine wish to embrace the deeds of these brutes so be it. But, would it not be anyone's job but mine, to show these simpletons the way adventurers ought to be?"  Fenrir went on to train the way of the blade, specifically the gentleman's sabre, the Rapier. Years later he is satisfied with his training, ready to begin his tale and give the world the show it deserves.
Patrick said: It sounds like a very interesting plot. Two quick questions I have are what would the days and times be and what content for character creation is allowed i.e UA, Blood Hunter, ETC.  The days and times are really flexible!  I present all the dates I am available and the party can book those dates for play, a character workshop, a lore brief/Q&A, We can run multiple sessions a week or a session every month! You;d just need to discuss it with your party and book the appropriate times. As for character creation content,  keep it to only WotC full release content as a general rule however there is some UA and hombrew that is permissible. There are a few race restrictions, being monstrous and Drow.