Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP] Character-focused sandbox campaign with experienced GM [Day and time TBD]

Edited 1567309295
This Game Has Been Filled Old Red places a bowl of soup in front of you and grumbles, “Those traders are at it again - scaring the children with tales of raiders burning and pillaging. Rockridge is too small to notice and too poor for anyone to care about. Damned fools.” The inn is busy for lunch, mostly filled with friendly faces but also a few you'd rather not see. Piercing the hustle and bustle of the inn, the church's bell rings loudly. Glances are exchanged and brows furrow. Edith says, “Strange, now's not the time for mass. Maybe the...” A second ring interrupts her and sounds clear throughout the town. Then a third. Puzzled faces search for understanding. A fourth. Edith's young boy Jerem jumps up from the table, knocking it in his excitement and spilling bowls and glasses everywhere. He runs to the front door and looks out. You hear a thud then Jerem stumbles back inside. Wide-eyed in fear, he looks at Edith. His lips mouth the word “Mommy” but all that comes out is blood. A jagged arrow protrudes from his chest and he falls to the floor crying and clutching it. Edith is the first to scream then others join in as Jerem's spilled blood mixes with spilled soup. Panic grips the room and suddenly chaos is all around you. What do you do? This will be a character-driven sandbox game. You'll begin play as a level0 villager because I think starting as something normal and humble will add dimension to the characters. I encourage you to be creative. 'Militia-who-becomes-a-fighter' or 'hunter-who-becomes-a-ranger' is a bit too on the nose, right? We'll work together to give you each some sort of special ability based on your life/profession to make you unique. Some other notes: - Every PC will have friends, family, and/or rivals in Rockridge. Your history and those NPCs will feature prominently in the game. - PCs will have pre-existing relationships with each other. You need not be friends but everyone knows each other. No loners. - RP-heavy. - Low magic setting. - No murderhoboing please. - Here's the scare: this won't be D&D. We'll use Dungeon World. It's thematically like D&D (same races, classes, stats, etc.) but focuses more on storytelling, is streamlined, faster, and encourages action description. No prior knowledge is necessary nor do you need to buy anything – it's easy to learn and I'm happy to teach. All that is necessary is that you describe your actions in plain language. Discord voice, 18+ for mature themes (like poor Edith and Jerem). I'm in CST and would like to play in the evenings. Day and time is flexible but I can't do Mondays or Fridays. Let me know if this interests you with a little info about yourself. If you have questions, fire away.
Hey there, I am interested in joining your campaign. Just for clarification, in which time zone are you living as that could be an useful information.  About me: I am Florian, 22 years old and currently studying Physics in Germany. I have played quite a lot of Pathfinder recently and am really interested in the Sandbox aspect of your game. Currently I have time to play on every day except Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, so if any of the other days suits you, I'd be happy to hear from you again. ~Flo
Florian, I'm in CST (UTC-6) and looking to play during the evenings, which puts a start time at roughly 3am for Germany.
Hello, I'm interested in joining this campaign. The non-DnD does sound iffy but I'm all for new experiences. I live in Macau (GMT+8) which is 13 hours ahead of you. So your evenings work just fine for me, since they would be early morning. University is about to start again though, so the only time I can guarantee being free is weekends (Fri-Sat your time). Besides that everything sounds fine, I do value RP quite heavily. A little about myself: You can call me Toasted or ManPowder, whichever suits your fancy. I'm 21 y/o, currently doing my bachelor's in design. I've played D&D for 3 years and it's been exclusively 5e. I've played in a bunch of campaigns and even DMd 2, so I know how rocky that boat can be at times. I enjoy most settings with the exception of Sci-fi, I don't know why but futurey stuff just... yuck moving on. In terms of character types... mmm this one is difficult. Honestly I've played a lot of character types and I enjoyed most of them. The only character types I'd say I definitely didn't like were the super edgy "Stay out of my way, I'm better than you in every way. Everyone just wants to stab me in the back, I hate everything" sort of characters. Sad backgrounds, psychological disorders, traumas... etc etc are fun to play, but the background should SHAPE the character not BE the character. And then also the "I wanna bang everything that moves" character. It's funny at first, but it grows old quick and just becomes awkward and one dimensional. Hope to join you gents in some good old fashioned role play.
I'm Hi Drusi. This game interests me. I love a good story, and the idea of starting of as simple villagers is quite appealing. I'm 35 years old. I've played 5e for a couple of years and before that I have a few years of LARP and Theater under my belt. I'm PDT but have very flexible hours. 
@OriJinal if we'd play on a friday/saturday  that'd be fine for me. So if you intend to play on one of those days id stil be interested
Thanks for the interest. I'm going to keep this open for the next week and encourage others to apply. I'll begin contacting people throughout the week to exchange some PMs or have a quick discord chat. I hope to have session 0 next week, depending on schedules.
Hello, new to roll20 and this looks real fun! I've played pathfinder and am familiar with 5e. This open level of interaction is intriguing for me. I'm 24 and live in CDT. Evenings all week are open for me.
Hey there. Figured I'd put out a possible interest toward this. I'm 24, almost 25. I also live in CST and can do Wednesday- Friday openly at any time. I've been roleplaying for over eight years overall, but never tried this system. This seems like an interesting idea and I love heavy character driven roleplay in my games alongside any combative elements, bringing life to things overall. I'd have a possible idea already if we ever end up speaking.
Hey just wanted to post an update on the whole schedule thing. I've just received my university schedule for the first semester and it looks like my Thursdays are open. So at least until January-February I can also play on your Wednesday evenings.