Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Button to open Handout : API or Chrome extension ?

Edited 1566810834
Hello,   I have a good level of web development, but I start totally on Roll20. For my role play games, I would like to use a macro button, for example "Worldbuilding" which opens the the "worldbuilding" handout previously created by clicking on it.  According to you, can I do this with the API? I do not find how to select a button or create a click event, so I think it’s not possible. Otherwise, I plan to create a Chrome extension directly for my browser. I could find the button on which to click for sure and I wonder if I would not have to go in that way anyway, because I would also like to be able to create music-related buttons… but question is how to know what functions give to it to execute… if anyone with an idea, thanks :)
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
The API can create a link that can be clicked to open a handout, but cannot cause a handout to be opened, it requires a person to click the link. 

Edited 1566823090
Yeah but I think the link must be in the chat, is that right ? Otherwise, I discovered that we could access the contents of the handouts through the external journal. The solution will probably be to use a Chrome extension and copy the style and behavior of the Roll20 dialog boxes to recreate the contents of the external journal in a pop-up over Roll20.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can also make buttons in the journal that open other journals or compendium pages. The former is done with: [Journal name] ....and the latter is done with a hyperlink to the Compendium entry, which requires a few extra steps to acquire.
Thank for the answer !  Yes indeed, I'm using this right now, but I'm trying to skip this extra step because like all the game masters I'm a little lazy during the sessions :p I find the macro buttons really more convenient than browsing the hierarchy or using the search, for things "out of the story" like worldbuilding or rules.