Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Custom Dice for Character Sheets

Score + 24
I'm aware that this has kind of been asked before, and I'm aware that you can make custom dice with rollable tables, but what I'm asking is slightly different. I'm asking for the ability to create custom dice, either with a custom set of values, or with icons for each of their faces, much like how the rollable tables work, but for Character Sheet Authors. As is right now, to make these dice happen, if you're creating a new character sheet, you need to make a companion API script in order to have your dice rolls happen. And while that technically works, it's preventing people that don't own a subscription from using these sheets, since they can't use the API. I'm in the process of making a sheet for my friends, and this isn't a problem for me since I have a pro membership and this is mostly a private sheet, but if I was to make this public, I really would like to have it accessible to everyone, not just subscribers. Making a way to add new dice to the sheet itself would be great.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Could this be done with Logic in Roll Templates ?
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Kenton said: Could this be done with Logic in Roll Templates ? Possibly, but it could get really large, because you'd have to have logic set for every face of the die and you'd have to have logic for the max number of dice that could be rolled (as far as I've found, there's no looping thing).  Additionally, the roll formula would have to send each die separately.  So, regardless, roll templates aren't necessarily a good solution for this sort of thing.  And forget about it if you have to do any summing of values...can't do it, because each die would need to be sent separately.

Edited 1570472570
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Finderski said: Kenton said: Could this be done with Logic in Roll Templates ? Possibly, but it could get really large, because you'd have to have logic set for every face of the die and you'd have to have logic for the max number of dice that could be rolled (as far as I've found, there's no looping thing).  Additionally, the roll formula would have to send each die separately.  So, regardless, roll templates aren't necessarily a good solution for this sort of thing.  And forget about it if you have to do any summing of values...can't do it, because each die would need to be sent separately. If I had the votes, the top two character sheet development issues that I would make suggestions for are in this paragraph. Roll Template looping. From making a dynamic number of roll fields (e.g. {{r1}} {{r2}} ... {{rn}}) to easier nested logic, the ability to loop a set of roll template code some number of times would be amazing Allow "inline rolls" based on roll template results. This would include conditionally displaying 3d dice based on what the roll result would need as well as the ability to create calculations that are done via the roll template. And, now back to the actual topic. I also wholeheartedly endorse the suggestion here (although I don't have any free votes). Even for systems that don't have custom dice, there are a variety of uses for the ability to define custom dice and/or rollable tables in the sheet's code. For Starfinder, I currently have a moderately complicated roll template coded for rolling starship glitches. If we could define a rollable table in the sheet code, that roll template could be dramatically shortened. To add on to the OP's suggestion, I might suggest that from a mechanics viewpoint, these could be defined in the sheetworker code (or a similar tag) as JSON. Something like a function call that would be called at sheet load up: addCustomRoll("die name",[//An array of arrays     [[array of die indices],die value,custom die image url], ]); Note that there should probably be a separate, similar function for adding a sheet defined table. The custom rolls and tables should probably be called by a syntax something like: 1c[customRollName] 1ct[customTableName] Here's hoping some people with votes are interested enough in this, Scott EDIT: Stretch goal - If you could define a custom roll (or even table) in a chat message would be awesome. Something like: /cr f6:-1,-1,0,0,2,2 /r 2f6 roll result would look like: rolling 2f6 -1 + 2 = 1
Yeah, I did quite a bit of searching around for solutions to this, and the only solutions I could find was either use an API, which makes the sheet not available for free users, or like Finderski mentioned, make a huge script to handle each face separately, and if you do so, you can't even add them up to display the result nicely, which I would like to do... It's funny that a rollable table does exactly this, but we can't display a rollable table nicely with a template, nor can we attach the rollable table to a character sheet.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Have a vote, I think this is a great idea, especially with Scott's additions. Her's also hoping this gets tagged appropriately as a character sheet request...