Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic lighting on the map

Hi fellow players. I am new here and even though me and my group have been using roll20 for years now, I never bothered to really use most of the features. I have a few questions about dynamic lighting.  My group has discovered an archipelago of islands in our last session and I want them to have fun discovering them. So I did load up a map and turned on the fog of war. Then I made their ship a token. That was when I remembered the feature of advanced fog of war.  Basically my problem is the following: I want my players to have view over the map, but I want things like mountains to block their few like a wall. But I sill want them to see the mountain itself on the map. How can I draw walls for dynamic lighting on my map without creating black dots on map where the mountains are. For example I have a volcano right at the point where they arrive. the volcano is about 7000 ft high and about 5 miles across. surrounding it with a wall would block the view on the volcano, but no matter what I do, I cannot make a wall that does show the mountain itself but block the view behind it.  Any ideas how to solve this? Oh yeah. If possible I would like to define height of objects. so they can climb on then and have a better view over the area and can even look over obstacles. is that even possible?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Your only real option for the mountains is to draw Xs over them. That will let them see 1/4 to 1/2 of the thing in question from whatever angle.  The height thing isn't possible, but is a much requested feature. 
In b4 the move.