Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Dynamic Light] Bugs in the Dynamic Lightning

I use a Pro account for Roll20 for some months now and I have several recurring issues with the Dynamic Lightning. Especially, there is a big difference with what my players see and they are supposed to see according to the app. First screenshot : What my player see when I use Ctrl+L to mimic their vision Second screenshot : what my player actual sees As you can see, they are several light source on the map, they seem to not work on the first screenshot when they work to good on the second, because the player can see beyond what's blocked (second screen, the room with a fire giant). For now, all my players see all the rooms where I put light source. Some spoilers where made... Thank you for the help, Tibo aka Tebor, french DM
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Possible cause: Can the players control the light source? Does the light source have vision? Those two together would cause what you are seeing. Ctrl-L will allow you to see other light sources, but only the actual POV vision of the selected character. If actually using DL as a player, you simultaneously see through the eyes of every token you control.
keithcurtis said: Possible cause: Can the players control the light source? Does the light source have vision? Those two together would cause what you are seeing. Ctrl-L will allow you to see other light sources, but only the actual POV vision of the selected character. If actually using DL as a player, you simultaneously see through the eyes of every token you control. Hello, I am not sure of what I should check and what I should try to change to correct this. Basically, here are the settings I made : Players have sight, 60 ft of vision, 0ft of dim light, don't emit light 1 player carries a torch, 20ft of vision, 10ft of dim light, sight and emit light Torchs doesn't have sight, 60ft of vision, 40ft of dim light, emit light and are controlled only by the DM
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
First of all, ignore the Advanced Fog of War greyscale squares. Those are player-specific. You won't see them with Ctrl-L. Your second screenshot indicates that there is a second token that shares vision with the player token. I don't know which token belongs to whom, but that token at bottom right seems to share vision with a number of other tokens. It really looks like it's the light sources that are sharing vision. Who was the second screenshot taken? By the player? Is the player logged in as GM? Can you post a screen shot of the vision and light settings on the bottom left fireplace token?

Edited 1571044597
Hello keith and thanks for your time. First of all,the second screenshot was taken by a player who cannot connect as a GM. Here is the second screenshot with keys to understand which token is who : And now the screenshots of the different settings : (Usually I put 0 in dim light for the PJs unless they carries light)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Does the light source have a controller? From what I am seeing, it looks as if the PJ is listed as a controller for the light. This might happen if the light is a token that has PJ or "All Players", or if the light token represents a character that has similar permissions. (Sorry I don't know the official French translations for the terms.)
keithcurtis said: Does the light source have a controller? From what I am seeing, it looks as if the PJ is listed as a controller for the light. This might happen if the light is a token that has PJ or "All Players", or if the light token represents a character that has similar permissions. (Sorry I don't know the official French translations for the terms.) Since your first answer I changed this setting to put me as a controller for all the light sources.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's about the limit of my advice then. Sorry. Without actually getting into the game and investigating, I'm out of ideas.
keithcurtis said: That's about the limit of my advice then. Sorry. Without actually getting into the game and investigating, I'm out of ideas. I can give you access if you want, have the time and the will :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
PM sent
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Got it. "Enforce Line of Sight" was not ticked on the page settings. Walls by default block light, but don't block sight without that setting. So alls were not blocking players from seeing the light cast from any room on the map. Any square where light is not blocked is visible.