Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Coastal setting with a catch

1570560513

Edited 1570560627
First off, hi everybody, RPGs sure are fun, huh?  Now that the icebreaker is out of the way, let me talk about what I want to do and what I hope some of y’all will be inclined to help me with.  I want to DM a game where my wife plays the main character.  I know, so presumptuous, so entitled, so rude to every other player that’s ever played and is not married me.  Tough, that’s what I want.    She’s helped me out in other games I’ve run and I think it’d be fun to build a game around one of her character ideas.  Of course this does not mean I will neglect the other players nor their characters, just that the inspiration for this game is the PC played by my wife.   I happen to like the idea of a small port in a coastal setting.  My wife considered this and proposed a Grave Cleric that lives in the setting and is primarily concerned with those lost at sea and making sure they know peace.  I can run with that.  All kinds of adventures can be based around some coastal town with this cleric acting as a catalyst to get things going.  What I what are some folks that’ll make characters that would be allies of this character.   Game will be set in the Forgotten Realms along the Sword Coast in some little town I make up between Baldur’s Gate & Waterdeep.  Backgrounds from Ghosts of Saltmarsh will be allowed as will stuff from the published books like the PHB, SCAG, & XGtE.  I’m in EDT time zone and will be DMing this game on Mondays starting sometime in November. Time frame 7-10 pm.   Would any of y’all be interested in joining me in this? Edit: D&D 5E
Hello Crackle, My fiancee and I could be interested in joining. We are looking for a game to join that would be either weekly or biweekly in weekday evenings and your game's pretty much exactly in the time frame that we are looking for. Let me know if you have space for 2 players and if you'd like to ask me any questions my discord is Tabichanable#0208 though you can also PM me in roll20
This sounds like a potential fit for me. Perfect time frame. I like the setting and story line. I enjoy a supplementary role. I am fluid with roll20 and 5e. I have a few PC concepts that would fit. Send me a message if you have space for an avid, easy goin' gamer. Discord handle is jl13013#0699
Hello Grackle,  I've not played a game using Roll20 before, but I have been a player in older versions of D&D/other RPGs and have DM'd for my kids in D&D 5e. Outside of various video games, I'm not that familiar with the Sword Coast, but I'd be interested in playing in your game. I like the idea of playing a Barbarian of the Path of the Storm Herald that focuses on the sea, or an Ancestral Guardian who communes with their ancestral spirits (XGtE primal paths), both of which seem like they might fit with your game setting. That said, I'm open to playing any class if there's something specific you want to incorporate into the game. I'm running on NDT (Newfoundland Daylight Time), which is 1.5 hours ahead of EDT. I'll check back here regularly to check for messages, but if you want to get hold of me more quickly for any reason, I'm almost always available on Discord. My name there is Snozgobler#2373 Out of interest, what are your character creation rules? Would you be using standard array, point buy, or rolled stats? Also, what will be the primary means of communication? I notice most threads here mention using Discord for voice and Roll20 for visuals, but I thought I'd check as it wasn't mentioned in your post.
Character creation is going to be some form of point buy.  We’ll be using discord for voice and Roll20 for most everything else.
Hello again Grackle! I was thinking about the character I would play more and I just wondered if you had any preferences or restrictions on the race they could be? I am fine with whatever you would prefer, I'm just trying to think more about who this character is and what they are doing here. Initially I was thinking that they might be some kind of shellfish/pearl diver that also gets involved with the salvage and recovery of any kind of ship wrecks that might happen nearby along the coast. Perhaps that is how they come to know the Grave Cleric, as they have saved sailors who are near death, or brought the bodies of those who drowned to shore. If that's fine as a concept, would you be fine with me playing a Lizardfolk? They have the ability to hold their breath for 15 minutes, which was what made me think of the shellfish/pearl diver.