Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Releases and Bug reports should be exempt from the 2 month post necro rule

Score + 24

Edited 1570625210
There is a general lack of organization for technical matters because of the necro rule. Question asked twenty times? 20 threads. Bug reported 12 times? 12 threads. Want to update a script/ sheet because some obscure user had a question and it caused you to add a bunch of features to your script? Throw that old thread away and create a fresh new one that has to have the same discoverability problems as every other thread. Noon   said : I can't really type a lot because I broke an arm so I'll be more brief than I normally am: I want to preempt a dev response with a counter argument: The only purpose of the strict thread closure rules is to combat the two week limit on bumping. Most forums don't get the kind of traffic that need something like that. A more elegant solution is to warn users when they're about to post in an old thread and consider a new one. To most people, this will work. Others will make an occasional faux pas. That is a small price to pay for a very large increase in focus and usability. I speak from the experience of someone who has literally posted tens of thousands of forum posts in my life (above 50k easily). Posting is a grind here. With the amount and speed of what I'd consider "power user" support this topic has, I'm sure we'd all appreciate a bit of grease.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Excellent suggestion! 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'd just like the necro rule to disappear entirely, but I'll support this.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Since submitting a sheet, I have been wondering about this myself.  If someone posts in the thread I created, I get a notification.  If someone has a problem and creates a new thread because mine is closed, I might not see it.   I'll have to see if I can shake a vote free from somewhere.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Concur with all of the above.  +1 One reason you might still want to create a new thread is to get your post to show up on the main page.  Nothing older than 2 weeks or so will ever show up on the front page of the forum (for people that actually go there—I only ever use the All Discussions page with a few filters).
Good suggestion!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
+1
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Dropped a vote for you :)
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: I'd just like the necro rule to disappear entirely, but I'll support this. I agree completely. I'd also like the Mods to stop manually closing posts. It's completely unnecessary. So many times I've wanted to add something helpful, but they've closed it too quickly.
I can't really type a lot because I broke an arm so I'll be more brief than I normally am: I want to preempt a dev response with a counter argument: The only purpose of the strict thread closure rules is to combat the two week limit on bumping. Most forums don't get the kind of traffic that need something like that. A more elegant solution is to warn users when they're about to post in an old thread and consider a new one. To most people, this will work. Others will make an occasional faux pas. That is a small price to pay for a very large increase in focus and usability. I speak from the experience of someone who has literally posted tens of thousands of forum posts in my life (above 50k easily). Posting is a grind here. With the amount and speed of what I'd consider "power user" support this topic has, I'm sure we'd all appreciate a bit of grease.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
This may be one of the best ideas that I'm bumping, and the one that's the easiest to implement.