Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Individual Characters without personal Light not revealing Advanced Fog of War

Edited 1570871337
Ember
Plus
I have no idea if this is a bug, or this is just the intended limits of combining Advanced Fog of War with Dynamic Lighting.  But over a few games I've noticed that individual tokens (characters) only have their fog of war revealed for them if they personally are holding the light source as they pass through an area. I've had a few games where characters without any sort of darkvision have gone through a dungeon.  Character 1 might be wielding a torch, have a lantern, or have a light spell cast on their gear.  Character 2 has no source of light and is just allowing the first character to provide the light.  But the problem is only character 1's advanced fog of war is revealed for the hallway they walked down, despite the fact they both could see the hallway clearly. The same thing applies for if they walk through areas with lighting from other sources I set up (torches, campfires, so on), only the area lit by a character's own light source will be added to the advanced fog of war. And yes, "Has Sight" is checked.  They have vision.  They can see the light coming off of other characters or objects around them.  It just doesn't save the Advanced Fog of War for them, even though it's visible and in bright light. I don't remember this being a thing in the past, before certain updates, but I could be mistaken as I DM'd mostly and didn't play as much, and my own players could have just not noticed.  I also didn't test the lighting layers as much (the players didn't complain so I assumed all was swell). Giving characters without a light source an advanced fog of war "Reveal Distance" or just giving them a tiny bit of light doesn't solve the problem as they'll reveal areas they can't even see.  Not to mention it means they'll always reveal a set distance around them, when the light source they're standing near might be bigger or smaller.
Hello Ember, I have moved this post to the Specific Use Questions and Macros forum. Thanks.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Advanced Fog of War has a long list of issues. You might try looking through this post and see if what you are experiencing matches a current report. The whole Fog of War system is apparently undergoing a huge re-write. I don't use Advanced Fog of War because of this but continue to use the method many used before the introduction of the system,  Light Crumbs .