Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Looking for Character Sheet Building/Editing help!

Hi there, semi-long term DM here, I've been pretty capable of coaxing my Frankenstein's monster of a character sheet along with my ever changing homebrew system but I have finally hit a snare and am hoping someone that is good with the HTML side of the builder can help me out. Now, to start, I've based the bones of my homebrew on the really old Fallout P&amp;P system, so that is... technically the character sheet we've abused up until now, though it's so far beyond that it's almost unrecognizable. What I am trying to do is the following: I am trying to replace my second row of alternative roll buttons to a "yes or no" value checkbox to add what are essentially class bonuses.&nbsp; The first column on the left is a disabled box that shows the value of column 3 plus column 2. Column 3 is the one generated by the values from the stats page, column 2 is for players to spend points in, and can be typed into. What I would like, if it's possible, is to have a checkbox on the far right hand side so (since I was fiddling with "Magic" there) if a player is classed as a "Mage" they could check the box and the bonus is added. Obviously the bonus (25 shown here) is not something I want them to be able to fiddle with. It's a value set by the rules (rules we're still building though).&nbsp; However, I am kinda struggling to limp my way through this one. HTML has never been a real skill of mine and I've gotten by with copying what was existing and shifting it around with new names, this is out of my skill pool.&nbsp; Here is a pastebin of my HTML code:&nbsp; <a href="https://pastebin.com/jahz9cUW" rel="nofollow">https://pastebin.com/jahz9cUW</a> All the virtual cookies and 10,000 years of good dice rolls to anyone that can help me?&nbsp;
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Laura said: I am trying to replace my second row of alternative roll buttons to a "yes or no" value checkbox to add what are essentially class bonuses. It sounds like&nbsp; having "yes or no" as two radio buttons would be a better idea that having it's as two checkboxes. Alternatively just have a single checkbox for "yes". Or create it as a "select"-dropdown with "yes" and "no" as options, If the class bonus is a simple stat tracked somewhere(let's assume it's called "@{class_bonus}"), and you go for the single checkbox version: Define the checkbox for eack skill to have the name "attr_class_bonus_skillname", and it's value to be "[[@{class_bonus}]]", the name of the class bonus stat you've given it. Eg. checkbox with name "att_class_bonus_alchemy" for your alchemy skill. Add "@{class_bonus_skillname}" to the first column; Eg. "@{mod-alchemy} + @{base-alchemy} + @{class_bonus_alchemy})". This should probably result in "@{class_bonus_alchemy}" having the class bonus value when checked, and if unchecked, the value of checkboxes is zero. Have you read the Building Character Sheets wiki page? There it should have some useful pointers and links to other resources there. I assume the fallout sheet is on the older sider and a bit simple considering it's using table elements alot in the html, so if you play any other rpg on roll20 and know well it's character sheet, you could get some insights on how sheets can function. The big sheets like 5E, Pathfinder 1E/2E are probably too big to learn effectively from yet, but I could suggest to check out my D6 Star Wars sheet which have some low-to-moderate character sheet features. Among things, it have a wound tracker which applies automatically the penalties to dice rolls that should be impacted by them. A Mod can surely move this to the Character Sheet Subforum?

Edited 1570927642
Apologies for putting this in the wrong spot.&nbsp; After looking over other games essentially what I am looking for is a proficiency check box that will add the value we decide on as a group to the roll. That has to be possible, I see it in other systems, I just can't for the life of me figure out how to understand what I am looking at in say the 5E sheet that is linked on GitHub through the community page. o_o; I suppose it doesn't entirely matter where the checkbox goes on my character sheet that I've linked so long as I can put the check box somewhere &nbsp;near the skills so I can let my players click yes or no for class skills. Maybe that helps the answer more? Edit: Thank you for the help by the way!
Update: Success! 10,000 years of good rolls and virtual cookies for you friend! I am admittedly very slow at HTML learning but your advice plus staring at other sheets (including the one you made ^u^) worked out. So thank you so so so much!
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Laura said: ... I am admittedly very slow at HTML learning but your advice plus staring at other sheets (including the one you made ^u^) worked out. So thank you so so so much! Good to hear it was helpful. Did you do implement the "class bonus" with a checkbox, or a select dropdown? I've used both depending on the situation, but I'm not 100% sure what&nbsp; default value a new sheet gives for unchecked checkboxes, but it's possible it's empty initially, and set to "0" only after checking, then unchecking the checkbox. Hope you tried out the behaviour of your sheet by adding a new character to the campaign and looking at how a "empty" sheet behaves, sometimes I've missed some bugs bc I only tested the sheet changes on existing characters that already had their stats changed.
I ended up going with a checkbox for the bonus, the idea is for players to be able to make their own unique classes or pick from preset ones so they're allowed to pick whichever bonuses they want as long as they explain why, so it seemed checkboxes was the ideal. Replacing the second alternative roll button (which is there so they can do things like bonuses or penalties from items or spells without having to remember to change back their base skill) worked pretty well on top of that.&nbsp; Thank you again. I do have some ideas to potentially implement with drop down menus. And yes, I have two campaigns, my primary one with all the important stuff and one I use to build maps I'm inspired to create and test the sheets without breaking characters! Caught a bug but not in the checkboxes, in something else my group wanted added.&nbsp;