Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

System requirements for running Roll20 on two screens.

Hey everyone. I have been using Roll20 for over net game play, and as a "game mat" for normal game play as well. I use a laptop for dual screen game play, with the laptop screen as the GM screen. But the laptop I currently have is not really up to the task, and it gets quite jittery/stuttery. So I am considering either building a decent living room computer, buying a new laptop, or some other solution that might work with this setup. But I am at a loss at what I actually need. System requirements for Roll20 is not obvious, and for a setup like this its even harder to guesstimate at. Anyone here that can give me a helping hand with suggestions for systemspecs, or what you need for a setup like this to work as flawlessly as possible.  Thanks for all the help you can give me
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Curious on how you are setup...  Are you running 2 browser windows on the laptop? One window for the GM account and another window running the Player account on the big screen, using chromcast or something similar? As far as system req/specs; I think it really depends on your game.  There are many factors that will negatively impact your game's performance . The character sheet(some are behemoths), dynamic lighting, advanced fog of war, map size, number of tokens, 3d dice, music, animation, internet speed, etc.  Given the sheer number of variables that can affect performance, it's difficult to nail down system requirements.  Roll20 isn't a video game and it runs within a browser, so I'm guessing that internet speed, ram/memory,( Can RAM Make Internet Web Pages Faster? ) will matter more than your cpu and graphics card.  Any mid-range computer should easily handle roll20 unless your particular game is heavily laden with the above mentioned features.
I am running to browser windows from the desktop. I just connect the tv with a HDMI cable to the TV. The one on the laptop is the GM screen, and the one on the TV is a incognito window where I am logged in as a player. So the players can only see what they would normally see when we play on Roll20. When I do this we dont use 3d dice or music. That is fixed by other peripherals. The only thing I use is dynamic lighting and advanced fog of war. My internet speed is not a problem. I have a VERY solid connection. My guess is that a lot of these features need a solid(ish) gpu, and over 8 gb of ram. But I really wish the developers could at least give us some pointers at what the system requirements really are. I understand there are a lot of variables, but I am having a hard time finding any decent info.