Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Charactermancer Journal Workaround Idea

I accidentally closed my last post of this on accident. Sorry for the repost. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7840968/possible-d-and-d-5e-custom-class-workaround" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7840968/possible-d-and-d-5e-custom-class-workaround</a> As a DM who has many characters with custom races and classes, I started thinking up ways that the charactermancer could possibly find ways to allow custom class level ups. (Granted, I have no idea how well these could actually work, as I am not a coder, but may as well voice my ideas, yeah?) Directly in the ‘Mancer I was wondering why, for the custom classes, they can’t just allow the custom fields (like for level 1) to be filled in, and for any that affect an attribute, class resource, or other stat, can be a pull down menu like when selecting what type of proficiency they gain. Using Handouts So, if having custom classes is an issue because they’re not in the compendium, what if we could rig the journal section to act like it? It would probably take an api scrip or something, but is it possible to make the charactermancer reference a handout in the journal, perhaps under a specifically named folder or an identifying prefix in the name? If so, the folks that run the charactermancer can probably provide a template for players and dms to fill in and make the class from scratch. Mancing the ‘Mancer Building on my second idea, could there even be a button on the front page of the charactermancer where you can go to just fill in the whole class in it’s entirety, level 1-20 then export it to a handout or maybe just the code to copy and paste into one? Thanks for reading this, I hope these are possibilities, or if not, I can learn why.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Preparing data for use in the Charactermancer is extremely difficult. A simple handout would not be able to handle all of the logic for spell lists, features, dependencies and so forth. If you want to build a character with your own data, though, there is nothing stopping you from doing it manually. Some features from the Compendium can be dragged and dropped right onto the character sheet. You could also look into the link I posted in your other thread if you have any programming skills.
keithcurtis said: Preparing data for use in the Charactermancer is extremely difficult. A simple handout would not be able to handle all of the logic for spell lists, features, dependencies and so forth. If you want to build a character with your own data, though, there is nothing stopping you from doing it manually. Some features from the Compendium can be dragged and dropped right onto the character sheet. You could also look into the link I posted in your other thread if you have any programming skills. Yeah, I was hoping that wasn’t the case... Too bad I don’t have any programming skill at all. But hey, maybe someone could think something else up.