Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

App n00b here: all my circles are squares

Edited 1573932965
Hi all.  Brand new, learning the basics.  I'm trying to draw a map page.  In the editor's "Draw Shape" tool, its popup help window reads, "Draw a rectangle, hold Alt for circle/ellipse, hold Shift to snap to grid." OK, I want to draw some circles!  But, I can't get that "Alt" function to happen.  When I hold down my Shift key, yep, the shapes I write do snap to spots on the grid rather than gliding around.  But when I hold an Alt key, no circles appear; instead, my browser window is moved around the desktop. What am I doing wrong?  Thanks.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I wonder if this is a bug introduced by the recent zoom change messing with the alt key. Have you tried creating a new campaign and seeing if the issue occurs there too?
The Alt key still works for me in Firefox and Chrome. Be sure you are using one of those browsers, and be sure you turn off any browser extensions, plugins, or add-ons, as they might be interfering with Roll20.

Edited 1573932926
I've tried this on both Firefox and Chrome, no difference.  That suggests to me that this isn't the behaviour of some add-on, and I don't have a lot of those... BUT: Could this be due to the OS I use, which is Linux?  I tried to switch the UI, that didn't make any difference, but I don't have a Windows or Apple machine to see what happens if I switch over there. Update: I just went through Chrome and turned off as many add-ons as I could.  No difference. Firefox never had very many to begin with.  I'm back to blaming Linux.  As one does. FIXED: Aha. I thought I'd tried every possible key combo on the mouse before I posted this, but apparently I'd left one out.  "Ctl+Alt+mouse", for me at least, draws circles.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
While you can certainly blame linux, you can also bet that (because it is linux) there is a setting somewhere.  I'm not sure what DE you are using, so this might look different on Gnome, KDE, or whatever.  I use XFCE, and when you bring up the Settings Manager > Window Manager Tweaks > Accessibility Tab, the setting is there: I haven't changed it, because I don't do much drawing on the maps.  Anyway, look through your settings and you can switch the hotkey around to not conflict with the Roll20 hotkeys.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Alt mouse works for me on the Mac, although it did not on my Chromebook trackpad. Alt works on my Wacom Touch on the Mac. So it may indeed be a fluke of your setup.
Kraynic said: While you can certainly blame linux, you can also bet that (because it is linux) there is a setting somewhere. Amen... Winston Churchill, we hardly knew ye, or something like that... Anyhow I looked around (again) and couldn't find (on XFCE, I thought, but, well, you know the drill...) the setting you pointed out. My guess is that my next option would be a config file, but I'm satisfied with one extra keystroke, at least for now. That said, is thins something that should go in the docs?  "On Linux, try Ctl-Alt-mouse and don't blame us if your computer lights up in some strange way, heathen"?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you find a verifiable solution, feel free to add it to the appropriate wiki section. It's user editable for a reason. :)