Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Map Size - Token Size (Comprehensive, lots of pictures)

Edited 1574139869
This title isn't entirely accurate cause when I eventually finished making this I ended up with a slightly different point than I originally intended. Oh well! Let's talk about the default map / grid / token sizes, as well as token bars and status icons. At full zoom, this is the standard map grid. This is, to be blunt, not good. It's almost inconceivable to think anyone would ever need to zoom in this far. Characters in popular games like 5E can move 6-12 squares per turn, so this level is extremely impractical. So you'd think the answer is obvious: just adjust the grid scaling. And at first, it appears you'd be right. Here is a picture of the that same thing, at max zoom, with grid size at half scale (each box is 35 pixels instead of 70) That's way better! Much more reasonable to actually play at this zoom level. And it means you can have maps that are "bigger" without actually having to have large map files. You don't have to worry about stretching smaller map files. There's a problem though. While the tokens and the grid and the maps can adjust ... certain other things cannot. Here are what token bars and status icons look like, in each size. Token bars and status icons are virtually unusable if you make the grid size smaller than the default. So I guess my suggestion would be ... let us adjust the size of token bars and status icons? Status icons currently will shrink, if you keep adding more, so obviously the code is there to adjust their size. Personally, I think the status icons just need work in general. There needs to be more of them, representing more common conditions in RPGs, and even the default size is, in my opinion, a bit large. I think status icons look best when you see them on larger tokens at the default grid size, as shown below.
Make us able to adjust the opacity of the token's bars; plus make the opacity of the bars "100% OnMouseOver". That way we would be able to set a transparency level for each token to "usable but almost invisible", being able to see it better just passing the mouse over (without need to change current objects selection). This extra is not exactly related to the pointed suggestion (a good one, btw, +1) but helps to improve token's bar. I'm not sure if this is the proper way to add extras to suggestions, but as it is related to same object in a similar concept (visibility quality), I thought I could add it.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
I like this idea, as well as Rago's follow-up.
Great thread. I would even say that status icons should be a percentage of the token's real estate, so you don't have absurdly small icons on large tokens, or vice-versa.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .