Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

What do I get if I buy the D&D books?

Hi. Brand new user here with a Plus account. (Well, actually, old user finally running my first game on Roll20 this weekend.) And I'm curious about what the benefits of buying the D&D books are? I own the print versions. So I have access to all the text. I guess one big benefit would be monster stats added to tokens? I have D&D Beyond, so monster and NPCs stats are always at hand. Just wondering if the spend is worth it for my homebrew 5E game. Thanks.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It depends on how much of the work you want Roll20 to do for you and how many options you want. Having the monster tokens pre-filled means that art is in place on them, besides all of their stats being trackable and actions clickable. Having the full roster of ready-to-go monsters is very handy if you like automation or sandboxy games. Having the Players Handbook means that charactermancer  (on the official sheet) has full access to the features for character creation, again leading to a fully trackable and clickable sheet. All of the spells, weapons, armor, magic items and more are available with drag and drop simplicity. A lot of this stuff can be done with the free SRD, but owning the books gives you access to the full published options: more spells, more monsters, and especially more character creation options. And of course, the tokens are ready to go. None of the books are necessary , but depending on what you want out of Roll20, they can absolutely make your experience easier .