Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Finishing the Charactermancer

Ok, so I'm not sure if this has been posted before or not (I've tried searching to verify, but there's a lot to go through), but who is in charge of maintaining the charactermancer? More specifically, who can update and FINISH it? There are so many areas that need some love, and I'd happily volunteer my time to finish it out (as would a friend and fellow DM). Anyone got some insight on this?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Roll20 maintains all the character sheets containing charactermancers. How well do you know how roll20 character sheets are created, and how well do you known HTML/CSS/JavaScript?

Edited 1574752418
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Throw in JSON for Compendium structure. Serious answer: I totally agree that the Charactermancer can be improved, (and in some cases, finished), but Roll20 is not likely to turn that over to volunteer effort any more than Microsoft would let volunteers tinker with the base code of Excel.

Edited 1574788861
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
We've been doing a lot of bug fixes on the Charactermancer to get our new contractor up to speed. I've been organizing the current feature requests &amp; bug tickets. For reference 45% of our backlog is just the D&amp;D 5e sheet! We're working to expand on the Level Up review slide now and will be working on a number of bug fixes through the rest of the year. My intent is to start looking into adding Feat handling in 1st Quarter but don't hold me to that yet. It's still touch and go in our release planning.&nbsp; As for volunteers. All the code for the 'by Roll20' sheets have to go through the UC team. It's a process from design to QA to release. We do appreciate when people look into bug fixes and adding features. For example we are working to implement one that RedHatter suggested . While we rarely actually merge the code a user provides, we do evaluate any suggestions or code submissions to see if they fit into our general plan for the sheet. - Cassie User Collaboration Team Lead Edit: Also if you are a professional programmer, I'm always keeping an eye out for talent to do contractor for character sheets. You can send me a resume at <a href="mailto:cassie@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">cassie@roll20.net</a>
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
RedHatter's code suggestion looks great!
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
It was a very helpful suggestion. :) On a similar note, Phenomen made a similar design for the Pathfinder Second Edition sheet to help show what they wanted in the spell section. No code in this case but the image really helped us get a visual on what the user wanted. Other people commented on it making it clear that multiple people desired this change. We incorporated it into our new spell design.&nbsp; I always appreciate volunteers wanting to help. We do have to keep the code under quality control since much of it is tied to Marketplace purchases. I'm sure people would be unhappy if a bug slips through that would effect their modules. - Cassie
Granted, I'm no code monkey and have NO idea how much work goes into the "behind the scenes" of the charactermancer, but I would imagine making the rest of the backgrounds could probably be done in a "copy-paste" format off of the only one there currently, right? Similarly, the rest of the Monk Paths formats could be copy-pasted off of the one that's there, no? Not trying to sound condescending, I'm just legit asking. Because if that is the case, making the "pages" could be outsourced to even the most basic of chimp banging on a keyboard (i.e. me), and then hand that product off to the pros to be put into "the book".
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Just checking: do you have the PHB or any other purchased compendium? You mention "one background", and the "rest of the monk paths". You should only see one of each unless you have purchased material. There is only one background and one monk path in the SRD as released by WotC. And it's a lot more complicated than "copy/paste". Different backgrounds are unlocked by different compendiums, or appear in multiple compendiums and must be reconciled, etc, grant numerous other skills, spells or abilities and features... Every background and class that is in a book for sale in the marketplace should be accessible by the charactermancer (apparently with the exception of some dribs and drabs from early releases such as PofA, for example).
Physically, I have two copies of the PHB, and one MM and DMG. Is there some means of unlocking all this in the charactermancer that I didn't know about?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
twtchr44 said: Physically, I have two copies of the PHB, and one MM and DMG. Is there some means of unlocking all this in the charactermancer that I didn't know about? No. Owning the books in any format other format doesn't impact your Roll20 account, you need to buy them separately.
Andreas J. said: No. Owning the books in any format other format doesn't impact your Roll20 account, you need to buy them separately. well, that's mildly annoying...