Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Looking for sheet writer to help make super simple custom sheet for homebrew game

As the title says, you got skills making sheets, I want a sheet, let's make a deal! Willing to pay whatever the going rate for a sheet is.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
PM sent.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
The Dungeon Master said: Willing to pay whatever the going rate for a sheet is. There's a going rate...? ;-P
Is there not a going rate for just about everything?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
99.9% of the community sheet authors on roll20 volunteer an unbelievable number of hours on character sheet(s).  Granted, it's a labor of love and often done for systems we covet.  Kudos to you for offering and to anyone that's able to get compensated for their skills/efforts. Cheers
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The Dungeon Master said: Is there not a going rate for just about everything? Not really. The cost to have my local barbershop quartet sing happy birthday to me is considerably less than what I would have to pay Andrea Bocelli for the exact same service, even if they both lived in my home town. :) Professional programmers are likely to charge a professional rate, whereas a hobbyist would charge less (and you'd expect less of them). As Vince says, though, anyone might do it for free as a labor of love. There's also a huge range of what constitutes "a sheet". I could probably write a sheet for FUDGE, but I wouldn't touch trying to make one for GURPS or 5e. If it is indeed "super simple", you could try using the Sheet Request thread. You might get lucky. :)
I appreciate all the advice but since I want this done in my time frame and to my specific needs I am more than willing to pay someone to do it and have hopefully found said person. If for any reason it does not workout with them I would be more than grateful if there were anyone who was willing to do it for cheap but would feel obligated to give them something for their time at the very least.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
To add to what Keith says, the going rate for someone who knows what they are doing is going to start in the hundreds of dollars. Character sheets demand pretty exclusive skillsets, and also require a LOT of hours to build (even simple ones have a lot of tedious but time-consuming work). Prices have been quoted before that start in the low  multiples  of hundreds of dollars, and go up from there. And these are reasonable prices, because you're asking for highly skilled web design work. People are often willing to donate their time to do this as a hobby, but that's because they get to pick and choose what they want to work on, and can do it for fun, and can stop any time they like. Once they are accepting money, it becomes work, and has certain demands. You cant work at your own pace completely, there's an expectation you'll actually finish the project. You also have to deal with the fact you might be putting in dozens of hours of work, for people who dont really appreciate the skill and labour needed, and who are as likely as not to try to avoid paying. (Really, check out freelancer design horror stories, or any online artists blog). If you want to get the sheet done, it would be worth posting in the sheet request thread, describe what the sheet actually needs. If it is genuinely simple (though no character sheet really is simple, or everyone would be making them), people might take you up on the offer. 
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
GiGs said: If you want to get the sheet done, it would be worth posting in the sheet request thread, describe what the sheet actually needs. If it is genuinely simple (though no character sheet really is simple, or everyone would be making them), people might take you up on the offer.  I took on this project. Otherwise I would have pointed OP to the Sheet request thread by now. But now I have a new post to quote on this issue :D The last larger thread where we mentioned most of these point probably still exist somewhere, I just can't find it any longer...