Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Updating the default token?

Edited 1575518547
Erik S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
So Ive been setting up my game's Token page. I set up each character's avatar, linked that character's default token to a token on the page, then setup the token on the page to display names, show hp bars, ect... But only now I noticed that when I pulled a character out of the journal, it did not reflect the token's settings. The name and hp bar did not display. So I reapplied the default token to one that was already setup, and then it worked. From this I learned that I have to setup the token completely first? Why can't I just tell a character to update to the token's current settings? Or rather why is there no way to auto update the characters to the tokens? Now I have to manually go through all of my creatures and characters and REDO their default token. ...
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
You need to save it as the default token to the sheet last.  That is how the instructions on the wiki go .  Then when you change stuff on a particular map due to a spell affect, some oddity of lighting (bullseye lanterns...), etc., the character isn't still locked into that on the next map.  You are setting the default token when you save it to the sheet.  Any changes after that should just be circumstantial changes that won't be permanent.

Edited 1575520498
Erik S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I that get that now. Its great for when your playing a game, which I get is the whole point, but it isn't exactly forgiving during the game's setup. One mistake that you only catch after three days of work, and suddenly you have to spend the next several hours fixing everything.  For the sake of smoother game setup there should be a "Update all character's default tokens" button or something.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
As a pro user, you can do this with token mod: !token-mod --set defaulttoken You can even do it with all tokens simultaneously. Note that due to limitations of Roll20, the settings for the placement of the bars will be the regular default. Roll20 updated the options for the token bars last February, but have yet to make them accessible to the API.
Erik S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
@keithcurtis Thank you for that info. Ill have to look into the API then.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Let us know if you have any questions. The API is the reason I originally became a subscriber.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
TokenMod as keith says is a great solution here. But I agree: Erik S. said: Why can't I just tell a character to update to the token's current settings? Or rather why is there no way to auto update the characters to the tokens? This should definitely by a native feature. auto-updating all tokens would be risky, but there should be a single button to set the current token as default. It should be on the token settings, without having to go through the current rigmarole of opening the character sheet, editing it, deleting the current token, then re-adding it, and finally saving again. That is just ridiculous, especially when you need to update multiple tokens.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It could even be a right-click option...
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: It could even be a right-click option... Thats what I was thinking. When you right-click on a token, you can see the settings cog, status icons, etc. It could be a new entry on there (ideally), or after clicking the settings cog.