Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Vampire the Masquerade 5th Ed] - Possible breaking change may be incoming

Hi, A couple people have asked me to update the VtM 5th Ed sheet, reducing Attributes from 7 to 5. This was initially included as SPCs go up to that level, however player characters can not. A number of people have found it confusing, so I was thinking of reducing it. As this may be a breaking change to some peoples games, should I do it? should I leave it? or I could put a note on top of the sheet, give people 2 weeks to respond, then make a decision. What do people think?
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
I don't play VtM but what about putting the extra ones behind a hidden section which can be opened with a button somewhere (maybe a setup page?).  That way if people want them, they are there, but if hidden by default, it might be less confusing to people.

Edited 1575603288
Indeed.  While I dont play 5e, I've played the previous ones and having the extra spaces as a storyteller is handy, however I do see where it could be confusing for new players that dont quite have the rules down.  I think Diana's idea solves it best.  Nice little tab that a ST can click, and then have access to the extra dots.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Some people will definitely be using those extra attributes, so reducing them would be a big mistake. I agree with Diana's approach. You could also make it an automatic feature. Since the max attribute score is dependent on generation, so you could include the full range of attributes (5-10), but have them hidden based on the Generation attribute. (I am assuming the sheet has an attribute for generation - if it doesnt, it's worth adding.)

Edited 1575645574
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Yes, removing a feature is always a bad idea. I completely agree with Diana, Paul & GiGs.
Thanks all. V5 attributes doesnt increase dots with generation. It was put in there for bears and Fae. Great idea on having the toggle. I'll keep it in there for now. The toggle will be on by default so the community doesn't get a changed product.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Bears??? Bears have greater strength than the strongest vampires? Or did you mean Weres?
I think it was just a normal bear. I'd have to look at the book again. I think they were strength 7.
I wonder if it's something that slipped through in the edit. Since the game was designed from a stats perspective to cap at 10 dice (+minor modifiers)
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I think if creatures and monsters might go up to stats 10, you should have that option on the sheet too. It can be hidden most of the time, but I do think having the ability to set a maximum (5-10) would be a good idea.