Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

NPC Action Damage

I don't know much about setting up Macros, but I've been looking around and haven't found a single solution to this. I want to set up NPC sheets so that if I click the name for a breath attack in the chat it will roll the damage without also having the attack roll as well. Is there any way that's possible? I feel as though this is a lot easier than I've been lead to believe but for the life of me I can't find out how. If this could be done without having to make a token action that would really be appreciated.
Mike deBoston
Compendium Curator
How to do this depends on which character sheet you are using. If you post that you'll probably get a specific answer.
Oh, right. Sorry this is my first post. It's 5e OGL by roll20
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Dandy, You say, "click the name for a breath attack in the chat". How is the name getting into the chat, or is that what you are trying to accomplish? There are methods for putting clickable commands in chat, called Chat Menus, that are detailed here . The only methods for automatically creating chat menus for the official sheet require API access, which is a Pro subscriber perk. As for your specific question, this macro would work, for say, the first action on a Goblin sheet: %{Goblin|repeating_npcaction_$0_npc_dmg} % tells us that it is an action, in this case, one that is built into the sheet "Goblin" tells us what sheet it comes from. If you replace this with "selected", it will refer to whatever character sheet is assigned to the selected token. "target" will refer to whichever token you click on after you trigger the macro. "repeating_npcaction_$0_npc_dmg" refers to the npc_damage formula of the first  repeating_npcaction . The numbering is indicated by "$", and starts at zero. In the case of a goblin, this would roll the damage for a goblin's scimitar attack, without rolling the to-hit roll. %{Goblin|repeating_npcaction_$1_npc_dmg} ...would roll the damage for the goblin's second action, which is a shortbow. This pattern will hold up across any npc sheet.
It's a pro-only feature? That explains why I wasn't able to do it anymore. I'll just forward this to my friend and he should be able to figure it out. Thanks for the help.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It's not a pro only feature. Creating a chat menu on-the-fly requires a pro subscription and the proper script. All of the code I posted (as well as manually making a chat menu) is available to any user. Is it possible that you used to use the Shaped Sheet? Some of the functionality you describe is baked into that sheet.