Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFGM] Experienced RP'er but roll20 neophyte wondering if strictly text chat games are a thing here?

A few years ago I moved to another country and started a family.  I cultivated a game group IRL here but it's always me GM'ing.  I used to run an Exalted game over Skype text chat play by post that didn't have formal sessions.  I would love to get involved with anyone that might be doing that sort of thing here.   I'm experienced with a fair number of games and willing to try new ones.  I have zero experience with 5e but for the right DM/Group I'd be willing to learn. I know all the White Wolf from 10 years ago and older very well. I know Savage Worlds well. I know Star Wars FFG pretty well.  (I'm running a game IRL currently.) I know pathfinder ok.  (Tried to run it a few times do OK never got to play and hone my skills.) I know old Palladium/Rifts pretty well. I know Powered by the Apocalypse and FATE ok.  (Haven't ever played.  Read the rules.) I know Shadowrun ok.  (Love the setting, book layouts makes me want to bash my head on the desk.  I'd play.  Couldn't run it unless I had 5 all the books memorized.) Anyhow, if you know of games that kinda fit the bill of what I'm describing, send a comment. Thanks.
There are text-only games on Roll20, they're just a bit rarer than voice-rps. If you're interested in text-only games in particular, though, there's a community of text-rpers on here called Knights of the Written Word 2, which I'm a recent member of. It has about 750 members, and you can find text-games there a little more easily than in the general forum. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/61164/knights-of-the-written-word-2" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/61164/knights-of-the-written-word-2</a> You can also search for text-only games on Roll20 by going to the Games tab &gt; Join A Game, then using Advanced Search Options to select 'Text-Only' under the Audio/Visual dropbox. Hope that helps!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Tony. As Missile has mentioned, Knights of the Written Word 2 community is one of the largest text based communities on Roll20. There are tips on running and playing text games on Roll20, we discuss gaming stuff on the discord server, answer questions about game systems, etc. There is a Savage Worlds game looking to recruit a player or two listed in the community. There is a 5e play by post recruiting (this is a good chance to learn the system) in the community, along with other games. If this sounds like something you are looking for, come join and check us out (it's free and easy to do).