Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

You don't know what you don't know

I am a first time GM playing with a group of first time players.  I am learning my way around Roll20 but have had some trouble getting my map grids to match the grids in the interface.  I have decided to remove the grids all together.  It seems like such an easy solution but I a sure there are disadvantages that I am completely unaware of due to my lack of experience.  I was hoping someone could point them out so I can expect them and maybe create work-arounds. 
1576868625
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
If you disabled the Roll20 grids, there will be no snapping to the grid. I'm not sure if the measurement tool works without the grid enabled. Those are the two things off the top of my head that you should be aware of. You did try the aligning map procedure?
Pat S. said: If you disabled the Roll20 grids, there will be no snapping to the grid. I'm not sure if the measurement tool works without the grid enabled. Those are the two things off the top of my head that you should be aware of. You did try the aligning map procedure? I did try aligning the map but still found it wasn't as accurate as I would like.  The measurement tool still works it just doesn't snap to a grid, rather it originates from the point of the mouse arrow which I don't see as much of a disadvantage if it's from the central point where the character is located. 
1576870871
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This is a problem with maps created with grids attached. They often have grids that just aren't accurate, and unfortunately you have limited options when that happens. Where possible use maps that dont already have a grid on them, or if they do and you cant align them properly, either try to ignore them, or hide the roll20 grid. 
depending on exactly how close you can align the map to the grid, you can also have decent results just by setting the roll20 grid opacity to zero.  It'll let you count squares with the ruler, snap tokens to the invisible grid--which should work with the image grid if the two are close enough even when it's not a perfect match.
1576888822
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Another tip for aligning a printed grid to the virtual grid is to do it in two steps. It's much easier to align left to right until the vertical lines match, and then align top to bottom to match the horizontal lines. I never use the grid align tool except maybe to ballpark it. And then yeah, as Alan says, set the virtual grid opacity to zero. Most people will never notice it there is a several pixel mismatch.
Alan S. said: depending on exactly how close you can align the map to the grid, you can also have decent results just by setting the roll20 grid opacity to zero.  It'll let you count squares with the ruler, snap tokens to the invisible grid--which should work with the image grid if the two are close enough even when it's not a perfect match. keithcurtis said: Another tip for aligning a printed grid to the virtual grid is to do it in two steps. It's much easier to align left to right until the vertical lines match, and then align top to bottom to match the horizontal lines. I never use the grid align tool except maybe to ballpark it. And then yeah, as Alan says, set the virtual grid opacity to zero. Most people will never notice it there is a several pixel mismatch. That is a great idea, thank you so much!  I didn't realize you could adjust the opacity.