Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Suggestion for tank-based RP

Edited 1577679192
Hey all! I'm currently setting up a tank-based RPG where the players crew a tank with different roles, and I'd like your advice on this topic! Specifically on how to handle LoS. I had the idea that the driver would have 180 degree vision. Simple enough to set up. I also wanted the commander to have 360 degree vision. Also simple to set up, just add a token for the commander itself and group it with the tank so it follows along and it should work just fine. Where I'm running into a bit of a problem is the turret, which would only have about 90 degrees field of view, so wojld require turning the turret separately from the hull of the tank. If I group the turret with the tank then I can't rotate them independently without ungrouping them, which is a tedious problem if I'm going for a turreted tank (Which I could skip, but that feels like giving up a potentially cool thing, so that's why I'm asking you for suggestions!) So do you have a clever way of keeping the turret following the tank while having an independent rotation? Also, is there a token mod that handles movement and rotation of a token? Tokenmod looks intriguing but I didn't see anything about rotation specifically. I was considering making some macros for moving the tank, X-wing style. (So maybe a light turn macro where the tank moves along the tank's direction 3 squares, and turns 45 degrees to the right) or a heavy turn macro where it moves 2 squares forward, turns 45 degrees and moves 2 more and turns again.) Essentially a bunch of movement macros to shortcut movement types. Is there a scrip that might make this feasible that any of you have heard of?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
I'm pretty sure I've heard about API that can rotate token images, but can't much comment on the other things.
Gold
Forum Champion
TokenMod is very powerful I will be surprised if it doesn't rotate tokens but I have not ran a game with it in more than 6 months so I forgot the details of that. Definitely recommend trying that script though. It has documentation that can be called-up in chat.
Gold said: TokenMod is very powerful I will be surprised if it doesn't rotate tokens but I have not ran a game with it in more than 6 months so I forgot the details of that. Definitely recommend trying that script though. It has documentation that can be called-up in chat. It can. :) Rotating a token by 180 degrees. !token-mod --set rotation|180
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
This may be beneficial as well; [Script] Sets Line of Sight marker even when rotating
Vince said: This may be beneficial as well; [Script] Sets Line of Sight marker even when rotating Sweet! I didn't even know about that script!
I think I found a workable solution using the Carry script, which allows you to set a token to follow another token. I just set the turret to follow the tank and it does so! It's not perfect since the turret doesn't rotate along with the tank's movements, but it's managable at least!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Stellan N. said: I think I found a workable solution using the Carry script, which allows you to set a token to follow another token. I just set the turret to follow the tank and it does so! It's not perfect since the turret doesn't rotate along with the tank's movements, but it's managable at least! You should look at the Aaron's new Token Conditions script which he is currently developing. It can handle the rotation you need and then some.