Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

When creating art, what's a good platform for engaging with the Roll20 community while I work?

Lorien Wright
Pro
Marketplace Creator
TL:DR: I want to do a regular weekly live-stream of myself while I create art for Roll20; What platforms should I consider, given that the focus would be on chatting and showing off art as I work on it? --- Hi all.  I produced a lot of artwork for the marketplace a few years ago, before I started working at my day job full time. Barring some technical difficulties, I am hoping to be uploading more art to the marketplace soon.  With this attempt to revitalize my workflow, I find myself looking for some community input. The situation is: I'm a very low spoons kind of person, which makes life a bit of a struggle; and anyone who has read my bio recently may know that 2018 & 2019 have been rather intense years for me, and 2020 promises no less excitement (I'm getting married!!).  Which is all great, but leaves me with a dearth of energy at the end of most days.  Moreover, I want/need to start producing more art, not just for the income but for my own sanity; to fulfill my need to feel that I've been productive and accomplished. It's important to my mental state. To this end I want some suggestions on how I can best develop a routine to keep up with this. I have some slight obsessive compulsive tendencies, which I occasionally attempt to harness to my advantage by creating routines which I can follow. Currently, I feel like trying to do some regularly scheduled Tuesday night art jam might be the best way to develop a regular routine. My fiancee has gaming on that night, leaving me somewhat to my own devices.  I would like to do something that connects me to a larger community.  Some kind of live stream, video, or even just chat.  Something where I can solicit ideas from folks and such, but more importantly, keeps me focused on the task at hand.  If folks are watching, then I'd have more motivation to not go off and play Stardew Valley or something else instead of working. Does anyone have suggestions on a good platform for doing this kind of live-streaming?  And/or any other ideas for helping me cope with my motivation issues?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but maybe a Twitch?  Seems like it would work well for all of the above, but I've never streamed, so take it as read. 
I have a few artist friends that use Twitch to stream themselves working on art, and I'm starting to use it as well, but streaming is an endeavor unto itself and it might add undue stress depending on how "casual" your stream is. For some though, the mere presence of someone else can help keep you motivated. If it's just a spot for folks to chill and hang out with you while you work, maybe listen to some jams, that might be the best atmosphere to keep yourself on-task.

Edited 1578284658
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I am using Twitch for this as well. I would love to network with other Roll20 Artists on this so we can hang out together and support one another's streams with raids and such. I also know some great art streamers that have similar interests and are new streamer friendly. Pass along your Twitch names and drop by LoremastersLLC sometime as well so I can give you a follow. 
Lorien Wright
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sounds like I may give Twitch a try then. If anyone has any other tips, I'm still open to suggestions.