Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

I'm very new to these types of games. Can someone teach me what there is to know and help me get started?

I'm 16 years old. The moment i heard about D&D I was instantly curious, I have always loved role playing games like this. I don't really have any friends that like D&D so the 60$ i have stowed away just for D&D stuff hasn't really gone anywhere. This website is confusing to me, and i don't know if the community would accept someone my age. If someone wants to lend a helping hand, just DM me on discord! crolaa#8782
I learned how to play D&D back in High School. Of course that was back in 1978. But put flyers up in your high school and I am sure you will have people wanting to join your group.
GM Scott said: I learned how to play D&D back in High School. Of course that was back in 1978. But put flyers up in your high school and I am sure you will have people wanting to join your group. Iv'e thought about doing this, but almost every kid in my school is really Ghetto, if that is the correct term to use. Basically People are douche's now-a-days and D&D has really fallen out of its light.
1577828591

Edited 1577829047
1. Your age doesn't matter all I would recommend is avoid ERP games and Paid games sense your underage.&nbsp; ERP (erotic role play basically sexual content) Paid games (basically pay a GM for his/her service. but sense your underage most if not all states laws says minors can't enter legal binding contract and doing so is a criminal offense for adults involved.) 2. About 60 bucks for dnd stuff I would recommend if you want dnd stuff without risking alot of money till you find local game buy pdf books from places like drivethru there 1/4 the price as pdf vs hard copy. 3. There is a tutorial for roll20 to help you with site.&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Tutorial" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Tutorial</a> 4. Everyone here is mostly helpful same with GM's Just when you post in forum for a game add just make sure you let them know you are totally new and would need help. I think I covered everything if you have any questions ask I will help.
ShadowDragon said: 1. Your age doesn't matter all I would recommend is avoid ERP games and Paid games sense your underage.&nbsp; 2. About 60 bucks for dnd stuff I would recommend if you want dnd stuff without risking alot of money till you find local game buy pdf books from places like drivethru there 1/4 the price as pdf vs hard copy. 3. There is a tutorial for roll20 to help you with site.&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Tutorial" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Tutorial</a> 4. Everyone here is mostly helpful same with GM's Just when you post in forum for a game add just make sure you let them know you are totally new and would need help. I think I covered everything if you have any questions ask I will help. Thank you so much! The 60$ Was more of a joke because I just got paid and did not want to spend what i had left on anything lol
1577828982
Gold
Forum Champion
You don't need to spend any of the money to get started on Roll20 by joining a D&amp;D game. Use 20-30-40 to buy a Player's Handbook for D&amp;D, the current version is 5E "5th Edition", the starting book is Player's Handbook. Start with a Player's Handbook of D&amp;D.&nbsp; Technically you could buy that book on Roll20, or other digital places. But gosh it's a really nice hardback book, unless you find reading easier on a device, I'd say get the PHB hardback book. U can order that book from Amazon, or, if possible, find a friendly local game store ("FLGS") in your town. If you find the store in your town, you can look over the book on their shelf, decide to buy it, and probably meet some people there in person too. You don't have to read or own the Player's Handbook, but it would be my advice best place to start, at the same time as looking for a game to join as a beginner on Roll20.
Gold said: You don't need to spend any of the money to get started on Roll20 by joining a D&amp;D game. Use 20-30-40 to buy a Player's Handbook for D&amp;D, the current version is 5E "5th Edition", the starting book is Player's Handbook. Start with a Player's Handbook of D&amp;D.&nbsp; Technically you could buy that book on Roll20, or other digital places. But gosh it's a really nice hardback book, unless you find reading easier on a device, I'd say get the PHB hardback book. U can order that book from Amazon, or, if possible, find a friendly local game store ("FLGS") in your town. If you find the store in your town, you can look over the book on their shelf, decide to buy it, and probably meet some people there in person too. You don't have to read or own the Player's Handbook, but it would be my advice best place to start, at the same time as looking for a game to join as a beginner on Roll20. Also good places to get books I found is half price books. Idk if in your area but used books cheap. I have found many treasures in books this way that was hard to find.
For now, hold on to your money. Download the official basic rules on Wizard’s website below to start with. <a href="https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules" rel="nofollow">https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules</a>