Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Script] Markdown Handouts and Bios

Edited 1578241932
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
markdown.js markdownNotesBio.js markdownDocumentation.js Simple example.....
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Nice!  I can't wait to try it out!

Edited 1578247032
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I've been helping to playtest this. It is sheer black magic. Awesome job, Stephen!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Stephen has come out of his laboratory. I hope we see more from you in 2020.  We've missed your creative..., well, you get the idea. ;-)
What a way to start the new year! Simply marvelous! Can't wait to use it!
:O
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
It's been fun watching this in development. Can't wait to actually have some time to play with it!

Edited 1578399464
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
keithcurtis said: I've been helping to playtest this. It is sheer black magic. Awesome job, Stephen! I've watched this from the sideline, and agree that it black magic. Edit: So it seems all three scripts need to be installed for the Markdown to work, and the Documentation file generates the example handout, which then can be used as basis for your own CSS styles. You can make notes with markdown without using any css if you only put "[md]" at the start of the gm notes section

Edited 1578428519
Ravenknight
KS Backer
NICE! :D
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Exactly.... Ravenknight said: NICE! :D
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Edit: So it seems all three scripts need to be installed for the Markdown to work, and the Documentation file generates the example handout, which then can be used as basis for your own CSS styles. You can make notes with markdown without using any css if you only put "[md]" at the start of the gm notes section Should be able to have as many as you want.... 
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Would like to think about HTML templates.... On the CSS do something like this.... spell_Template { <table><tr><td>Spell name</td><td>${ name }</td><td>Casting Time</td><td>${ CastingTime }</td><</tr></table>} In the MD do something like this... <spell_Template {name: "Magic Missle", CastingTime: "1seg"}> Sure there is a better syntax/model to use... but you get the idea. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I was messing with a statblock writeup the other night, and I agree. That would be handy. Too many <span> tags otherwise. And try as I might, I couldn't get a <div> to register.
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: I was messing with a statblock writeup the other night, and I agree. That would be handy. Too many <span> tags otherwise. And try as I might, I couldn't get a <div> to register. I will look at that div block.......

Edited 1578443830
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Stephen S. said: keithcurtis said: I was messing with a statblock writeup the other night, and I agree. That would be handy. Too many <span> tags otherwise. And try as I might, I couldn't get a <div> to register. I will look at that div block....... Its super picky as written.... div on one line (no spaces at the end)... content on many line... div on it on line (no spaces at the end <div style="color: red;"> test </div>
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I guess the html templates should look something like  RollTemplates
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Stephen S. said: Its super picky at written.... div on one line (no spaces at the end)... content on many line... div on it on line (no spaces at the end <div style="color: red;"> test </div> That did it. I'll be cautious with my spacing. I think I wasn't putting a space after the colons. Thanks!
This looks really awesome! For those ( like me :p ) who don't know much CSS, do you have the code on hand for that example in the first post? Love the formatting

Edited 1578690930
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Seph said: This looks really awesome! For those ( like me :p ) who don't know much CSS, do you have the code on hand for that example in the first post? Love the formatting Here's the code that I have been using. It's very similar. It's still a work in progress, though. UPDATED CODE  <<< This will stay current.
keithcurtis said: Seph said: This looks really awesome! For those ( like me :p ) who don't know much CSS, do you have the code on hand for that example in the first post? Love the formatting Here's the code that I have been using. It's very similar. It's still a work in progress, though. Thanks Keith! I was having trouble getting the fronts right.
Is there a simple way to do a line-break?
Thank you, Keith!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ravenknight said: Is there a simple way to do a line-break? I assume you mean a blank line? I discovered this by experimentation, though Stephen is working on a more official markdown solution. Enter a tab character on its own line.
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: Ravenknight said: Is there a simple way to do a line-break? I assume you mean a blank line? I discovered this by experimentation, though Stephen is working on a more official markdown solution. Enter a tab character on its own line. Yes, without something (a space or two) empty lines get tossed. If you are looking for a break in text, working to add that in... Hello<br>World Hello<br/>World Hello  //<--two spaces World
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Minor update to  markdown.js Added line breaks and made div a little less picky.
keithcurtis said: Seph said: This looks really awesome! For those ( like me :p ) who don't know much CSS, do you have the code on hand for that example in the first post? Love the formatting Here's the code that I have been using. It's very similar. It's still a work in progress, though. Keith I love what you have done here, but being new to Markdown I was wondering if there was a walkthrough to show exactly what command I needed to write next to the information I am putting into the handout.  For example, I know that if i type # Heading.  I'll have a bold heading, but what subheadings and things of that nature? Thanks in advance

Edited 1578634054
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Stephen is the one to answer this really. But the script basically uses standard markdown.  ![image](url) for images I've made about 10 image classes for floating left or right, thumbnails, feature images, etc. # H1 ## H2... Lists - item 1 - item 2  *italic* **bold** Google: "markdown syntax". Or the Basic Syntax on this page will give you most commands. Eventually, I'll put together some sort of guideline for the styles I've created with Stephen's cool invention, but it's too soon. Much of the script is still being written.

Edited 1578686015
Thanks for clarifying what markdown is, Keith, I was overcomplicating it for myself haha. And thanks again for sharing the styles you made! I can't wait to show off stuff like this to my players! And thank YOU Stephen for making this possible in the first place! If there's a way to add text in the GM Notes that doesn't get parsed into the handout, though, I'd love to know.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Here's the latest css I'm using (thanks to Stephen for invaluable help on the table definitions). I decided a gist was a better place to keep it than a pastebin. The latest script code is up at the top in Stephen's post. I love this script.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Who needs a compendium formatted handout...?  Awesome addition.
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Seph said: If there's a way to add text in the GM Notes that doesn't get parsed into the handout, though, I'd love to know. What would be nice it is to have this in the Notes and Bio field only.... toggle in and out of edit mode.
Oh yeah, like how the description box for a game on here works. That would make things much easier. For now, though, I can just use separate handouts for GM eyes only.

Edited 1578708892
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The latest version of the script allows for ad hoc <div> and <span>  tags. Anything you don't want to display in the top part wrap in a div like this: <div style="display: none;"> Players will never survive my killer dungeon </div>

Edited 1578709743
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Here are some screen shots of handouts I've been converting. Pardon that they're a little cramped. I'm on my Chromebook right now and too lazy to get up and use the real computer... Note that the links in the tiefling entry above will open the Compendium Entry on those sub-races. These screenshots contain art that is unofficial Fan Content permitted under the Fan Content Policy. Not approved/endorsed by Wizards. Portions of the materials used are property of Wizards of the Coast. ©Wizards of the Coast LLC.
Omg Keith you're a lifesaver! And those handouts look so crisp! =D
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Copying over Keith's CSS, I can't get the Mrs Eaves font to work. It just defaults to Garamond.

Edited 1578731864
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You would need to have the font installed on your computer. It's not a web font. Baskerville would be close, and is probably installed on more computers. Garamond isn't too far away. Actually, looking more closely, my handouts have been using Times New Roman. :D I should probably list those as alts.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I've updated the gist . The serifed headers use the fonts in this order. You can adjust for personal preference or font availability:     font-family: 'mrs eaves', 'times new roman', times, baskerville, garamond; Mrs Eaves is the official font—it's a variant of Baskerville. I personally prefer Times New Roman out of all of these (I don't have Mrs Eaves and didn't realize until just now). My starting point was Homebrewery for css declarations, and I never bothered to check. If you change the order of preference, you may want to remove the line that says:     font-weight: bolder; in H1, H2 and H3 if you think the weight is too heavy. H4 doesn't muck with the weight. It's really what you feel looks best on screen.
Can't seem to change font in my quote-boxes anymore.   font-family: 'Patrick Hand', cursive, sans-serif; doesn't do the trick. Using Markdown, 1.0.6

Edited 1578745034
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ravenknight said: Can't seem to change font in my quote-boxes anymore.   font-family: 'Patrick Hand', cursive, sans-serif; doesn't do the trick. Using Markdown, 1.0.6 Add the css selector "p.blockquote" to your css  p.blockquote {font-family: [whatever]; etc; }
Stephen S. said: Ravenknight said: Can't seem to change font in my quote-boxes anymore.   font-family: 'Patrick Hand', cursive, sans-serif; doesn't do the trick. Using Markdown, 1.0.6 Add the css selector "quote" to your css  quote {font-family: [whatever]; etc; } Thank you Stephen! That did the trick. ( Have I mentioned how much I love this script?! )

Edited 1578745837
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ravenknight said: Stephen S. said: Ravenknight said: Can't seem to change font in my quote-boxes anymore.   font-family: 'Patrick Hand', cursive, sans-serif; doesn't do the trick. Using Markdown, 1.0.6 Add the css selector "quote" to your css  quote {font-family: [whatever]; etc; } Thank you Stephen! That did the trick. ( Have I mentioned how much I love this script?! ) I lied to you.... "p.blockquote"  I edited my post :P PS: This is where things are at right now...
Stephen S. said: Ravenknight said: Stephen S. said: Ravenknight said: Can't seem to change font in my quote-boxes anymore.   font-family: 'Patrick Hand', cursive, sans-serif; doesn't do the trick. Using Markdown, 1.0.6 Add the css selector "quote" to your css  quote {font-family: [whatever]; etc; } Thank you Stephen! That did the trick. ( Have I mentioned how much I love this script?! ) I lied to you.... "p.blockquote"  I edited my post :P PS: This is where things are at right now... I will just nod and say: "That's good!" :)
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
@Keith - Of course I need it installed. I've done web dev for years and I feel like an idiot. "Lato" worked for me when I tested, so I assumed somehow all google fonts would work, but I just have Lato installed. One other minor note I have is that I can't get horizontal rules to work. No combination of --- ___ *** === works for me. It's not a big deal, I've done it by adding border-bottom to certain tags, but the Pathfinder 2e style uses a lot of them and it'd be easier to just use ===.

Edited 1578795381
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Three or more ====?  We can add that. But seeing this as standard....
I know this is asking a lot, but anyone care to explain how to go about with fonts / getting the background? Because right now from following the initial steps all I've managed to do is this.  Just to be clear, I know how to install scripts, but beyond that, I'm risking by touching anything without some direct guidance.
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Stephen S. said: Three or more ====?  We can add that. But seeing this as standard.... My issue is that hyphens, asterisks, or underscores don't work. I accidentally thought equals also did it, but regardless, the hr doesn't seem to show? 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Richard Jokes said: I know this is asking a lot, but anyone care to explain how to go about with fonts / getting the background? Because right now from following the initial steps all I've managed to do is this.  Just to be clear, I know how to install scripts, but beyond that, I'm risking by touching anything without some direct guidance. Do you have a styles handout that has a bunch of css declarations to handle all the styling? You need at least two handouts for this to work. Only enter text in the gm notes areas. 1) A style handout that begins with [css] as the first line. That will control all the styles using cascading style sheet syntax. When you save it, you will get a [css](-idnumber) as the first line. 2) All other handouts that use this stylesheet will need: [md] [css](-idnumber) as the first two lines. Everything else in that handout will follow the rules as set up on the style sheet. If you are after a 5e look, you can use the code I linked above as the style declarations. If I have misunderstood what you are asking, let me know and we'll get you sorted out. If you are unfamiliar with css, here is a tutorial .
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
<hr> added (thanks for the regex Aaron!) Three flavors... style each as you like in your css.
keithcurtis said: Richard Jokes said: I know this is asking a lot, but anyone care to explain how to go about with fonts / getting the background? Because right now from following the initial steps all I've managed to do is this.  Just to be clear, I know how to install scripts, but beyond that, I'm risking by touching anything without some direct guidance. Do you have a styles handout that has a bunch of css declarations to handle all the styling? You need at least two handouts for this to work. Only enter text in the gm notes areas. 1) A style handout that begins with [css] as the first line. That will control all the styles using cascading style sheet syntax. When you save it, you will get a [css](-idnumber) as the first line. 2) All other handouts that use this stylesheet will need: [md] [css](-idnumber) as the first two lines. Everything else in that handout will follow the rules as set up on the style sheet. If you are after a 5e look, you can use the code I linked above as the style declarations. If I have misunderstood what you are asking, let me know and we'll get you sorted out. If you are unfamiliar with css, here is a tutorial . Thanks. Again. Forum Champions/Creators here to save the day. This should be plenty to get me going in the right direction.