Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Do GMs have a need for token packs of NPC characters each wearing multiple different outfits?

Lorien Wright
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Just curious, is there a need among GMs for NPC tokens that have the same character, but wearing different outfits?  Like, it's generally been my approach to create thirty to fifty different NPCs, but now I'm wondering if sometimes GMs might prefer a handful of tokens that include the same character wearing clothing befitting different situations like casual, work, formal, battle ready, etc... so that the same character could be used in a recurring role throughout a campaign in multiple different situations. Is this a thing that folks need / want, or is it more preferable to just have as many different characters as possible per pack of npc tokens?
The GM
Marketplace Creator
In my campaigns clothing is a matter of mere aesthetic. We usually let theatre of the mind take care of that one as no one in my campaign is typically looking at their tokens while role-play encounters (usually the only time when clothing is brought up) are taking place. That being said, however, everyone's campaign is different. If you feel it wouldn't be a difficult asset to add to Roll20's marketplace for you, do it! You never know who might be looking for that very niche thing. Generally speaking though, given the scope of TTRPGs, if you have to ask, it's niche. If you wondering if you'll find a return from the investment, it's always a gamble. Good luck Phil
I have bought tokens from other sources that have multiple poses for groups of characters. Handy when they are in a town setting, so every waitress is armed with a machine gun, but a quick click has her put down her pen and pull her glock.
I got one of my best friends (and rival DM) the call of cthulhu starter kit and today we got to play an adventure. Naturally he was the keeper. I played as an occultist and professor way to curious for his own good. Went insane when I stared head long into the face if an eldritch abomination. (If you familiar with Tiberius Stormwind I just did an impression of him. It was great.) In fact, no one died. I was at one hit point when they hauled me off to an asylum. Definitely gonna buy the books when I have the money.
For my part, different *clothes* matter less than different *poses*, mostly recognizable as such because they wear the same clothes. :)  You could conceivably make a set just for one PC at a time.  Coming from Pathfinder 1e, medieval fantasy style, a list might be:  Standing Sitting (as on a chair or at a bar)  Straddling (for mounted use) Armed (room for multiple - sword & shield, pole arm, mace & shield, sword held 2-handed, crossbow, hand-crossbow, bow, etc.)  Carrying torch  Carrying lantern  Unarmed Unarmored (this I would consider a "clothing" variant; and Pathfinder has a fairly long list of possible "Outfits" [nobles', explorers', artisans', commoners', etc.])  Prone Prone and Bloody  Undead (Zombie)  For NPC use, a couple of the clothing changes might be appropriate, but more useful to me would be a less-complete set of the PC ones listed - not as much need for multiple armed versions, for example, but still would be nice to have Sitting, Standing, Straddling, Carrying Torch, Carrying Lantern, etc. .. within reason. A NPC noble won't be carrying his/her own lights, but will have a servant NPC to do that.  Hmm.. and guards. A variety of poses in the same armor, with different weapons would be useful to me (could be used to signify different ranks among them, for example).  Back in the day, Ral Partha Miniatures used to do "3-stage characters". to represent the same PC with more elaborate armor, weapons, and other gear at Low, Medium, and High levels. 
The GM
Marketplace Creator
KingstonCole K. said: I got one of my best friends (and rival DM) the call of cthulhu starter kit and today we got to play an adventure. Naturally he was the keeper. I played as an occultist and professor way to curious for his own good. Went insane when I stared head long into the face if an eldritch abomination. (If you familiar with Tiberius Stormwind I just did an impression of him. It was great.) In fact, no one died. I was at one hit point when they hauled me off to an asylum. Definitely gonna buy the books when I have the money. What... has that to do with the post?