Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Custom Token Sizing consistency

I'm running a game for some friends, and for some of the more climactic fights I really want to use custom made monster tokens, rather than just using a head shot on the traditional round format. The issue I'm having is with the scaling. Most custom tokens don't take up the exact dimensions of how many squares you size it to. For example a Dragon token I have ends up with about transparent squares within its token hit box, just after the length of its wings, and another blank box in front of its head. What this does is, if I match the outline of the box to the correct grid size (4X4 for this token) The dragon still appears to be quite small in scale.  I was wondering if anyone had any advice for scaling the tokens to make them feel as large as they should, but also being able to track the correct 2x2 3x3 4x4 grid squares for combat purposes. 

Edited 1578670355
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Make the token 1-2 squares larger in all dimensions, so that it overhangs its space. Then use a token with a negative aura to indicate the actual space taken up by the creature. Makes them look huge (and tall, if you use a black aura, which looks like a shadow). In the example below, the players should have a good feeling of how dangerous a dragon's reach is and how close they need to get to attack. Dragon image was an in-game art search and came from a user named heruca on dundjiinni. The map background is from Gabriel Pickard, available on the Marketplace, and the two PC tokens are mine.
This is great advice! Thank you very much! 
keithcurtis said: Make the token 1-2 squares larger in all dimensions, so that it overhangs its space. Then use a token with a negative aura to indicate the actual space taken up by the creature. Makes them look huge (and tall, if you use a black aura, which looks like a shadow). In the example below, the players should have a good feeling of how dangerous a dragon's reach is and how close they need to get to attack. Dragon image was an in-game art search and came from a user named heruca on dundjiinni. The map background is from Gabriel Pickard, available on the Marketplace, and the two PC tokens are mine. You're a genious! I struggled with this same problem, and came up with the worst solutions... This is the best and closest to Table Top it can get. Thanks!!!!
Dang, that´s clever!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You might also want to right click the token afterwards and 'send to back' as it's selection area will also increase making it frustrating to grab tokens who are snuggled in against the dragons neck for example.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ziechael said: You might also want to right click the token afterwards and 'send to back' as it's selection area will also increase making it frustrating to grab tokens who are snuggled in against the dragons neck for example. Good point. I do this with spell effect tokens as part of the macro that resizes them, for example.