Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Creating Bases for Tokens

Hi, I am trying to combine a character token with a circular base, so the character token stands on the base and they move together. I have tried grouping the two tokens together with right click/advanced/group. But I found two issues doing this: First issue: After the tokens are combined, when I select the combined token, the utility cog (which takes you to the Edit Token tab) does not appear. Why? Is that just the way it is with combined tokens? Or is there a way to combine tokens but still access that utility cog? The second issue: Once I've combined the token with its base, when I click the token to move them together, only the top token moves (though they stay grouped!). The only way I've found to avoid this is, click the combined token, release, then click again to move them together. Is there any way to avoid that?  Thanks for any help, greatly appreciated!
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You're better off making a single token that includes the base in the design. Something like token tool  will let you import an image, and put it on a base.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The second issue is the intended behavior. It takes a while to get used to, but actually give you more flexibility. Ex. Three characters who can move around on a boat, or you can still move them all together. I don't know if there is a solution to the first problem. There is an API script that will do what you are looking for, but that requires a Pro subscription. Is there a reason you don't want to combine figure and base outside of Roll20 in an image editor and then upload as a single unit?
Thank you for the answers, I greatly appreciate it. Replying to keithcurtis, I have started trying to combine the base and tokens, not that skilled but making progress. Thank you!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
A simple way of doing it is to follow the advice of this trick and use an aura to be a base. It's harder on smaller tokens to be fair but still provides a visible base to a top-down token.
Ziechael, thank you, appreciate the help very much. -pcrh