Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Confusion on what Paladin spells I can use.

I am new to D&D, only played a couple of sessions, and have just got to lvl3 with my paladin so picked my oath. I have a players hand book and have been using OrcPub/DungeonMastersVault to create and save my character sheet for home sessions and found a pdf online that allowed me to print off spell cards. Now the query, is there a list that breaks down what spells i can access as a paladin with an oath of X, as OrcPub/DMV has said that as a oath of devotion paladin i have access to spells that the pdf spell cards say are oath of the crown spells. or is it just all dependant on which book you are using, as i could see a situation where because i purchased a new book, that added another oath option, i suddenly lose access to some of my spells.
So theres a list of Paladin spells that you always have access to, but you pick a number of spells that you prepare for each day. I forget the exact formula, but i believe its your charisma modifier plus half your level, rounded down, but a minimum of one. So in your case its a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 6. But your Oath adds two spells at level 3 (more at 5, 7, 9, 11, i believe) that are not necessarily Paladin spells, that are always prepared and do not count against your maximum number of prepared spells. I looked it up and as a Devotion paladin your oath spells are Protection from Evil and Good, and Sanctuary. One is a Paladin spell, and Sanctuary is a Cleric spell. 
Thank you, I knew about you having to prepare # of spells per day from the list of spells you know. My query was more along the lines of, my PHB has a choice of 3 different oaths, I know that other oaths are available in other books like the oathbreaker is in the Dungeon Master's Guide. The pdf of spell card s i downloaded had all of the official spells, no homebrews, that a paladin can know, and marks on each card if it is oath specific. My issue is that I seem to have access to 'Compelled Duel' and 'Command' but the cards say that they are oath specific to the oath of the crown. I was wondering if someone had a list of spells that every paladin can know regardless of oath, and then a section that says if you are oath A you have access to X,Y&Z specific spells.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Without the purchase of the Players Handbook on the Roll20 platform, there is no way to break down the spell list to account for sub -class, save for the one subclass allowed by the System Reference Document , the subset of the rules provided for free by Wizards of the Coast. If you are using the paper PHB, or other legal source, you'll have to use that as a guide for which spells to pick, and either alphabetically scroll through the compendium sidebar in game, or use the search field.
I spoke to some people on another site and found the error in my understanding. i have those spells as they are available to all paladins but the oath of the crown has them as the oath spells,so as Anung said they are always prepared.