Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Better Forum Search and Topic Following

Forum searches Will the search in these forums every be improved?  Currently If you search for something like "sneak attack macro" you will get a list of topics that in a way contain a mention of "sneak attack macro" but when you select on to view, you are not taken to the point in the thread where it found the mention of your query. This isn't a problem if the Topic is about your query, but if the topic is several pages long, you start on page 1 and have to search for where your query is located. Not every helpful tip or trick resides in its own topic and it would be nice to easily access those hidden deep within threads. Topic Following I currently follow topics that involve the items I have purchased as well as the D&D 5th edition Sheet by Roll20. The 5th edition topic sees the most activity because they are doing great things with this sheet and they are very responsive to issues and concerns that come up. This means the thread gets long fairly quick, so they will close out a topic and move it to a new topic. That's great they should do that, the problem is I don't get any notification the topic has moved, thus I'm basically following a dead topic and do not get any of the new updates until after a week or so when I realize the topic has been very quiet and I have to search out the new topic and follow that topic. So is there any way fix the topics to notify when "closed/moved", could people that follow the topic have the new topic added to their following list?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Forum searching is indeed rather... quirky. While asking for a change is better posted in the Suggestions forum, asking for workarounds is perfectly valid. Here are some tips for better forum handling. Improved Forum Checking Forum Searching... But Better  (and thread immediately following) As for the Topic following issue, old threads should be closed and a redirect posted in the last post. This doesn't always happen. In the case of the D&D 5th edition Sheet by Roll20, you could try contacting the dev who curates the thread and ask. In this case, I believe it is Cassie.
Thanks I couldn't find a thread in the forum directly related to the forum itself.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It is a bit meta, isn't it? If you haven't browsed the Stupid Tricks thread, I recommend it. Users have contributed a wealth of great ideas.