Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Brand New Character Creation - No Game

I am brand spanking new to Roll20.  I have a character from outside of Roll20.  I just want to create a character that I can then use in games that I'm invited to. Is there no way to create a character BEFORE I'm invited to a game?? I want to put my character, or indeed multiple characters, together and spend some time getting that right BEFORE I start playing .  It seems I can only import a character FROM a game (fair enough).  What is the correct procedure for this when using Roll20 as a PLAYER not a DM. Do I have to create a new game, and then add the players to that game (coz I can't find how to do that.)  Everything talks about character sheets, and some videos talk about "Invite links" that you need to follow to games - but I can't see those anywhere. A little help would be appreciated - even if you can just point me to some actual instructions on how to do this. Apologies if this is somewhere obvious and I've missed it. CK

Edited 1579316559
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have put together a video for starting from scratch problems like this. It's here , and character creation starts at this time stamp , but the short answer is to create your own game (it's free), and create characters to your heart's content. These can be uploaded to your Character Vault , and downloaded to the GM's game, if they have turned on access. (All modules have this option for free, for instance.) Be aware that many GMs may want to have some degree of control over character creation.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
If you just want to make characters, you create a game with the character sheet you expect to be using.  This is because there are a lot of game systems/character sheets available on Roll20.  They are only available inside a game, and you select the sheet when you create a game.  You can use the character vault to move pre-made characters from your game to one you are joining if the GM allows it in their game settings.
Great thanks!  I figured that was the way to go, just didn't realise how it all hangs together.  All sorted out now. Thanks again!