Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Drawable area of effects

Something that slows down gameplay so much is drawing area of effect squares, cones and other shapes. A really easy solution would be to include a tool like the measuring tool that draws as you drag. Could work with all sorts of shapes and help speed up game play. Thanks for your time
Yay! This would be way easier than current shape drawing or using templates. Upvote!
Not sure if this what you are asking for, but you can draw perfect squares by holding the Shift key while you drag the mouse. See the Wiki here: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Drawing_Tools#Freehand_and_Shapes_Tools" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Drawing_Tools#Freehand_and_Shapes_Tools</a>
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Yeah, unless I am misunderstanding something the draw shape setting of the draw tool already does exactly this.&nbsp; You click the starting upper left corner and drag to wherever you want the lower right to be.&nbsp; Holding shift makes the shape snap to grid.&nbsp; As soon as you release the mouse button, the shape appears for everyone to see.
I don't think DMhyde meant what you guys replied with and I certainly did not vote without knowing that the basic shape drawing tool already exists. DMhyde can correct if my understanding is incorrect as this is his suggestion.&nbsp; What I think we need is as follows (these are based on DnD 5E usage, other games might have different needs obviously): 1) be able to choose shape of the area of effect (square and circle are already supported by current tool while cone is not) 2) be able to draw so that initial mouse click point would remain center of the effect for circle, eg. expand from center for GIMP users (square and cone could work as per OP's picture) - this is important because all circular spell area effects are measured by radius, not diameter 3) that while drawing, there would be measurement shown for the distance drawn so far, similar to ruler/measurement tool 4) that aspect ratio would remain 1:1 throughout the drawing (area effects are always perfect squares, circles and cones) 5) that after drawing and releasing mouse button, drawn shape remains and can be repositioned at will
...or literally search for "cone" or "AoE" in the tokens tab. If your map is scaled properly or at default you can get a working template token for what you are trying to measure in a couple of clicks.
JustAddSalty said: ...or literally search for "cone" or "AoE" in the tokens tab. If your map is scaled properly or at default you can get a working template token for what you are trying to measure in a couple of clicks. It doesn't work so well when you don't use grids.&nbsp; Jonkka is correct. A drawing tool with more shapes That show measurements in real time.&nbsp;
A tool that shows the measurements of a shape in real time would speed up games and make creating maps or effects much easier.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .