Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Roll20 Blocking VPN Connection?

Hello All, Just reaching out with a quick question that I was hoping a Dev would be able to answer: Last week, I was able to connect to Roll20 just fine. Play the game, no issue. This week however, as it was a different game, I couldn't connect to the game that I GM. Up until I dropped my VPN. To further compound this problem, I've just tried connecting to the same game that I did last week, of which I also created (so it should be the same level of permissions). I can connect to that game just fine on the VPN. But not the game I've been running on Roll20 since 2016. Just based off the description of the issue, it seems that whatever server is storing my game from back then is blocking NordVPN. As if it were settings from my VPN service, there would be a consistent issue connecting to any and all games. Regardless of permission level. To confirm this for you, I've tried logging into all 14 of the games in my list, and the only one that I cannot is the previously mentioned game, "AD&D". If you need more details for the affected game, so you can track down the troublesome server, please let me know what I need to provide. I would like to get this issue resolved as soon as possible.
If its only the one game you are blocked from I highly doubt it would be a Roll20 issue directly but likely a local ISP, VPN, DNS type issue.  You might want to clear cookies and cache or try firefox if you use chrome, and vice versa. Another thing you can do is more advanced is use your browser developer tools and use the networking tab to see what actually going on.  From my own experience running a linux build on my pc I have run into dns issue where in windows I did not. I often time set my DNS servers on my adapter to use google instead of the local ISP. Another thing would be visit your VPN of choice website and read their articles on dns blocking and attempt those fixes as well.
Ah, dang it. Clearing the cookies and cache fixed it. Should have known trying to troubleshoot the issue on 3 hours of sleep wasn't going to get me anywhere. Still, can't believe that I didn't even start there, haha. Thanks for the assist, Mark!
Hmm, I'm going to have to take that back (probably briefly) as the issue reoccurred immediately upon reloading the game. Going to check DNS settings.
Okay, issue is still present, but this is what I have done in the meantime: Cleared the cookies and cache settings on Firefox (this resulted in a one-time access to the game) Changed my IPv4 DNS Settings manually from Cloudflare, to Google, to NordVPN. All to no effect. Tried accessing Roll20 on IE, both on and off the VPN. IE would fail to load the dropdown for the sign in. Installed Chrome, installed the same addons I had in Firefox for parity, accessed Roll20 in an incognito window. Was able to access the game only once, while on the VPN. For reference, I've used this VPN service since roughly August without any issues. I've changed no settings since my initial setup. This isn't a matter of "I just installed the application and it won't work", it's more of a "I've been using this application just fine for months, and now it won't work on this very specific game out of 14 across browsers." Really looking for a permanent fix here.
So here is the question if you do not use NordVPN, will the site connect properly consistently?&nbsp; I am not sure what OS you running but windows is the most common. Aside from common browser troubleshooting (which it seems you now have done) I would recommend disabling any addons to rule those out.&nbsp; Other wise in windows you can do some things to give you an insight to where the problem maybe: 1. from a command prompt run the following: ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /registerdns You can then test. If no change you can tracert&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net</a> ping -t&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net</a> &nbsp;-n 25&nbsp; When doing those test, if you see that being not connected to the NordVPN work but if connected you do not then the trace route and ping might give you a clue where its seeing some latency or issue within the hops it takes.&nbsp;
Also these steps maybe of help&nbsp; Solving Technical Issues

Edited 1579874423
I've solved this problem when I changed my VPN service. I would advise read this article about&nbsp; Best VPN for Norway – Top Rated Norway VPNs Review | Webguidevpn
Hello All, Was a tad sick yesterday, here's an update: Issue persists with addons enabled or disabled in both Firefox and Chrome. Ran ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns in an elevated CMD prompt. Issue persists. tracert app.roll20.net and ping -t app.roll20.net &nbsp;-n 25 in an Elevated CMD prompt return the following while connected to NordVPN: tracert app.roll20.net and ping -t app.roll20.net &nbsp;-n 25 in an elevated CMD Prompt returns the following while not connected to NordVPN (some information redacted): While disconnected from NordVPN, I can log into that very specific game just fine. This issue does not appear for any of the others. While connected to NordVPN, I cannot access that specific game. It isn't a latency issue. The results here make that plain to see. When I connect to NordVPN in that game specifically, after preloading it from my normal connection, Roll20 severs the connection and doesn't come back. Here specifically are the error messages that the Web Console pulls up, while connected to NordVPN: Let me know if there's anything else that I need to try before this gets seen by a Dev. There's no discernible reason for one specific game to be affected by a NordVPN connection, but not the others. This doesn't point to a client issue.
Web Browser: Firefox Browser Version: 72.0.2 (64-bit) Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit If Javascript is enabled: Yes Your anti-virus software: Malwarebytes List of any browser add-ons or extensions enabled: Ublock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere. (No change if disabled)
If it works wit out nordvpn its not roll20 blocking it. Looking at your output the difference is Ipv 4 routing vs IPV6 based the trace routes. Its specific to NordVPN and the network routing. NordVPN ipv4 routing maybe blocking it or there maybe something along the way that's preventing it. While the console out out shows the connection to firebase failed, the networking tab will give you more as to where the connection might be failing. The ping and trace can only let you see the hops and the traffic is routing to the destination, but thats assuming the router is set to respond to the ping and those can be turned off.&nbsp; What I would do next is: 1. Compare your pings and tracert with nordvpn connect to one of your other games. 2. instead of the console output click on the networking to see whats actually failing and compare it to working one.&nbsp; 3. Try a different vpn service see if the samething happens. If it doesn't then you have pretty conclusive evidence its on NordVPN or between the VPN tunnel and the route it takes on IPV4 to roll20.&nbsp;
Update: Today I tried logging into the game again, while connected to NordVPN. I no longer had the issue. If moderators close forum posts here, this issue can be marked as resolved. Though I have no earthly idea what could have caused/fixed the issue in the span of two weeks.