Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic naming on custom template help.

Me and my friends are playing a custom game. Since we don't have a sheet for it were using attributes and macros to help with things. I made one for skill rolls that lets them select things relevant things from the attributes list in dropdowns to add to the rolls so they don't have to remember all the numbers. &{template:default} {{name= @{character_name}'s Skill Check}} {{Successes = [[(?{Skill| Aim, @{Aim}| Athletics, @{Athletics}| Evasion, @{Evasion}| Fortitude, @{Fortitude}| Grapple, @{Grapple}| Sneak, @{Sneak}| Strike, @{Strike}| Vitality, @{Vitality}}+?{Attribute| Strength, @{Strength}| Endurance, @{Endurance}| Dexterity, @{Dexterity}| Intelligence, @{Intelligence}| Insight, @{Insight}| Charisma, @{Charisma}}+?{Modifier|0})d6>5cf<4cs>5]]}} Is there any way to make the name of the skill they select from the drop down reflect in the name section of the template? So it would say, "Soandso's Sneak Check, Soandso's Aim Check, etc...

Edited 1579432745
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Unfortunately no, not with a standard macro. If you had one dropdown, and the skill and attribute were both combined into that single dropdown (eg. each skill always uses the same attribute), then it would be possible - but still complex, because you'd have to have most of the rolltemplate within the query, repeated on each row, and would run into the html replacement problem .  For the record, that would look like this &{template:default} {{name= ?{Skill| Aim,@{character_name}'s Aim Check}} {{Successes = [[(@{Aim}+@{Dexterity}| Athletics,@{character_name}'s Athletics Check}} {{Successes = [[(@{Athletics}+@{Dexterity}| --- add another line here for each skill and stat combination and delete this line of text --- }+?{Modifier|0})d6>5cf<4cs>5]]}} However, you shouldnt need to do this. The person who ran the macro will be highlighted in the left sidebar (the player or character avatar that appears), so its easy to tell. It then only becomes an issue for NPCs. 
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
As an alternative, you could create in universal macros, one macro for each skill, and set as Available to all, and the token action box clicked. Add selected| to each attribute name, like so  @{selected|Aim}+@{selected|Dexterity} then when players select their token, they;ll get a set of buttons on the top left of their screen, one for each skill, and can click that to roll the skill. This is probably better than clicking a bunch of dropdowns every time you use a skill.
That was only a few of the skills in that one macro I posed. I divided them so I have a macro buttons for physical, mental and social skills. We 24 in all so I thought having 24 individual buttons would be a bit cluttered. Maybe I will go with that way though and see which the players like more.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
The closest you can get would be something like this: !?{Skill| Level, [Level] @{level} |Version, [Version] @{version}} &amp;{template:default}{{name=@{character_name}'s ?{Skill} }}{{Roll=[[1d20+?{Skill}]] }} Provided you don't mind having the contents in the name: I'd probably look at doing Chat Menus:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5899495/stupid-roll20-tricks-and-some-clever-ones/?pageforid=5927072#post-5927072" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5899495/stupid-roll20-tricks-and-some-clever-ones/?pageforid=5927072#post-5927072</a>