Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Feature Request] Token Tethers

Edited 1579583781
A bit of a vaguely specific request. I was wondering if it's possible to make a script that draws a line between two or more linked tokens? I'm thinking of something similar to Final Fantasy 14, where sometimes creatures or players might have visual tethers linking them for specific mechanics. There are some mechanics where you cannot damage a creature until the tethered ones are defeated. Also, in 5e, sometimes you may have a link between certain creatures, such as through warding bond. Another use would be if I had objects that were projecting a wall or hazard, but the anchor points moved occasionally. This would allow me to dynamically adjust the size and shape of the wall between multiple points -- especially if the three of them are linked to each other. Why would I want this rather than using status markers? If I were to create a boss that links to multiple creatures, or have multiple creatures who link to each other for one reason or another -- all of whom move, it would be time consuming to mark each one. This problem can get even messier if for some reasons, players need to do so as well (which is possible with some of my homebrew systems).For some players, it might be difficult to visualize the line between the creatures without having to pull out the ruler each time. There is also the above point. This could also be useful for dynamically moving vision blockades, although I don't know if it would interact with the lighting/line of sight features well. Another useful application would be emphasizing that someone is a target of specific monsters.  I don't mind if the script uses a repeating HTML image that stretches, as long as it's editable. Ideally a line would be great.. I think it would be pretty useful to have an automatically drawn line between linked tokens. A couple of useful features: Link selected tokens together with a command, target select the origin of the link. Able to set a "tether breaking" distance, which stops drawing if the two tokens or objects exceed that distance in units. Players can set their own tethers to other creatures. If it's possible to do something like this, I'd appreciate it!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Wizards also just released a UA subclass for Warlocks, the Genie patron, which makes a lot of use of tethering.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
It would be possible to write a script that draws lines between tokens like that.